• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Removing stains from a RX canoe UGH

Reaction score
I have 3 older Royalex canoes and one fiberglass that have these black stains. I tried rubbing compound, a few different cleaners with no luck. I have read about 303 but I'm not sure if that will clean the hull or just protect it.

Any advice on how to remove these stains

DSC00590.JPG

I use white vinegar to clean to the deck and it works very well, removes mold and stains. It may be worth a shot.

I agree with Dennis as I have use that as well. Not sure about the black spots but it might work. Don't bother with Goo Gone, that stuff is toxic as heck. If you can find Dawn Power Dissolver that should do the trick but it is hard to find. That stuff works great on cleaning up hulls.

I just tried the white vinegar but there was no change. seems like these stains are right in the skin covering whatever that is.

I'll look around for Dawn Power Dissolver.

I've had good luck with synthetic steel wool, the grey stuff (equal to #000 I believe). I start with soap and water and that's usually enough. If that doesn't work I'll try mineral spirits.

I've also used 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper with soap and water or mineral spirits.

Probably not an issue on royalex but if you've got a glossy composite hull it won't be after you get done wiping it down with synthetic steel wool or 600 grit. Stepping up to a couple finer grits and polishing compound gets it pretty close.

Alan

Don't use 303. But on a side note. When you get a new boat and you put 303 on it. It does help with UV protection and with keeping stains off of the hull also. I've done it on 3 of my kayaks and 2 canoes and it worked great. I skipped one kayak and you can tell the difference when you clean it off.

But it just protects, doesn't clean. Good luck on getting that off. The Magic Eraser scrubbing pads might be worth a shot too.

Unless your trying to sell the canoes, I wouldn't bother cleaning them and really, if someone want to buy it then they should understand that canoes get dirty too.

Try some bleach diluted in water. If that doesn't work try rubbing compound. Put it on a wheel if you have to. Or stop thinking about it.

Last edited:
Unless your trying to sell the canoes.....

3 out of the 4 are going to be for sale, just trying to improve that first impression. Every penny helps to fill my gas tank crossing northern Ontario. Thanks for the tips, glad I didn't buy that 303

3 out of the 4 are going to be for sale, just trying to improve that first impression. Every penny helps to fill my gas tank crossing northern Ontario. Thanks for the tips, glad I didn't buy that 303

Bring your own fuel from the US. Buy a 45gal drum, an electric pump and a bottle or three of premium whiskey and it would still be cheaper than filling up in Northern Ontario. Fuel here is 119.9/litre which converts to $5.43/gal. Just sayin'

When I clean areas of the vinyl outer skin of my Royalex boat to prep it for filling grooves and gouges, I use 99% isopropyl alcohol and a rag. Takes elbow grease, but it works well for making the surface really clean to be able to take the filler compound. I cannot say how well it works on stains in a broad area of hull (which would one heck of alot of rubbing), but I do note that it cleans the spots I am working on quite well. Non toxic, and no harm to the hull.

Acetone has always been written about as the cleaner to use to prep for gluing anchors and D rings. I have never used acetone because of its toxicity, absorbs through skin, and risk of damage to hull if not fully evaporated before gluing. Use at own risk, and be outside to minimize breathing vapors, and rubber gloves would be wise also.

How does a canoe from the 80's still look that unblemished and unscratched?

So I ended up using steel wool and Tilex (bleach) on a small spot, it worked really well Thanks Alan and Ppine. Then I rubbed the section with rubbing compound and ended up with a nice sheen. This section had lots of black stains. I'll set up a buffer system and finish the rest of the canoe.

Mike, a real "barn find", it's been up in the sellers loft for many years

DSC00594.JPG

Looks great Robin. Years ago I had a OT Camper for family use. It will make some one a nice recreational canoe.

Back