• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Removing old epoxy for a gunwale replacement - worth it?

Reaction score
Hello all you canoe repair experts! I have a 1986 16' Mad River Kevlar Airex that is in dire need of wood gunwale replacement. The problem is, this happens to be from the manufacturing runs where Mad River was gluing the gunwales with epoxy. So there is a ton of old epoxy left along the inside of the hull (see photos.) I really want to save this canoe because it is so darn light! I am up for a DIY replacement job. However, I am wondering if it is worth the effort and risk of hull damage to try and remove the epoxy. If so, any suggestions for how to do it carefully?

Evidence of epoxy - Evidence of epoxy
Evidence of epoxy - Evidence of epoxy

You may have to experiment. A good scraper may work. Maybe a sharp chisel and a mallet. Maybe 220 grit orbital sander. Maybe all three.

As long as you are in there you might as well do it right. The rewards are greater than the risk. Just be deliberate about it. You can tilt the canoe into a comfortable working angle.

I might take a first swipe at that epoxy by resting a jig saw on the top of the shear and very carefully get as close as you can and cut along the length. I would clean up the rest with a sharp scraper and sanding block to prep it for new rails.

Mark

I ran into one canoe with the same problem but not as pronounced as your pictures show. I ended up using a belt sander and with gentle and careful attacks I got most off. I figured the new wood gunwales would fit well enough when done. I tried what others have mentioned but the sander was the trick for me. Good luck!

You may have to experiment. A good scraper may work. Maybe a sharp chisel and a mallet. Maybe 220 grit orbital sander. Maybe all three.

As long as you are in there you might as well do it right. The rewards are greater than the risk. Just be deliberate about it. You can tilt the canoe into a comfortable working angle.

I'm with PPine, experiment a bit and find what works best.

Getting the residual epoxy off and the sheerline smooth will pay dividends on that effort when it is time to install new gunwales.

Wait. I thought glued in gunnels didn’t rot?

Ha ! Stirring it up ! :rolleyes:

1986 ? The Screwed on ones I just replaced, were less than 12 yrs old.

When they are poorly cared for, as this one was, they rot ! .

At least as previously mentioned it's easy enough to replace, even after being epoxied on.

For those trembling in fear of epoxied gunnels ? Fear not ! Epoxied gunnels can be replaced !

Jim

Last edited:
Back