• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Registration

Reaction score
I've been thinking about no longer registering my lake tripping canoes in Ohio. This would mean 3 canoes would be unavailable for instate use. Are there any advantages to registration when crossing the border?

In Minnesota you supposedly can't use a Conoe in the state if it isn't registered in its home state if it's supposed to be. Now that MN no longer requires all out of state canoes to either have an outstate license or a MN license I don't know how they would ever know.

Black_Fly, the advantage to registering those 3 canoes would be the ability to use them in any State (I believe, I really only pay attention to the Midwest) without having to think about/remember which state has which rules. Of course you could always dedicate those boats as your WI and MI boats only.

BWCA66, I agree on the possible confusion of registration requirements. 2 of the 3 canoes on our annual BWCA trip are mine, yet I’m the only one who lives in WI (wrong side of the river, I know ;) !) so I really don’t “need” to register. But, if I’m not with/in the boats... so I’ve just decided I’m always going to keep registering, avoid the possible conflict. Besides, I can consider it a donation with the “hope” that the money will be appropriately used, right? At least MN doesn’t make me put numbers down the side like WI would, so I pay the out of state charge.

Canada doesn't require registration. Neither do almost any of the other states besides those Midwest ones.. Concentrate on the paddling you might do in the Midwest.
I still do not understand Pennsylvania.. I just paddle and not worry.

Well I have three canoes that are dedicated tripping vessels. I guess I could take one to a local effluent reservoir , but we have yaks and other canoes, so that's $75 a year I could save, if it's not going to affect traveling in Canada and MN. Why would a ranger check for out of state registration? Seems like a jurisdictional conflict.

Last edited:
I have a friend with several inflatables. She uses a 3x5" plastic card to stick her PA launch permit to. It gets zip-tied to any inflatable or kayak she chooses to take. Could you maybe do something similar with pop rivets and move from canoe to canoe? The spirit, if not the letter, of the rule is that you have a permit. Or, how often have you been checked, maybe just take your lumps?

I like registering at least once, for insurance and theft-protection purposes.

Back