• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Rebuilding my 1st Aid Kit

Yepp.....the best first aid kit is just stuff unless you are trained in what to do. We take standard first aid courses every three years. Very useful. I often end up needing some doctoring ....high maintenance.

I did notice that you can get quick clot now, I saw it at Canadian Tire of all places. Very usefull stuff for say, ohhh, chainsaw, axe, filleting knife accidents. Accidental gunshot wounds too....hunting season and all.

Most first aid kits are of little use if something bad happens. I like to bring Percoset pain killer, Ace bandages, gauze, tape, Imodium for the runs, and a few other things.

I consider the myriad of nagging injuries that will subtract from my tripping pleasure and try to plan for those. Allergies, bee stings, the runs, and headaches still need to be dealt with. A good antiseptic can make or break yoiu trip too. If you should say, ohh maybe gouge your ankle on a punji like old stump on a portage trail on day two, you want to be able to deal with that and continue you 10 day outing. On that occasion my only resource was after bite. Not a fun time dressing that one every night.
I know you can get carried away with things but it helps to have the basics. I actually use our kit at home too so that I am used to it and know when to restocck.

I bring a fairly simple kit with much of what has been mentioned. I also include a hemostatic (blood clotting) dressing and a zip dressing- like sutures for wimps. A couple saline flushes for cleaning out wounds are nice. I tend to not injure myself when out solo- i chalk that up to being more careful and not drinking to excess. I have had to super glue a couple nasty cuts from knives when with others- not paying attention and in a hurry. Getting older has taught me to slow the heck down!

OTC stuff: Advil, Immodium, Benedryl, Sudafed, Neosporin, hydrocortisone cream, bandages.

Non-OTC stuff: some left over prescription antibiotics.

For real medical emergencies, just as soon as I start tripping again, I will be adding a PLB or 2 way satellite messenger with an SOS feature.

Last edited:
I'm allergic to Neosporin. My doctors say now to use Vaseline. As a side note, it's a great firestarter, if in need.

Never a bad thing to bump a thread and remind people to change out and restock their FAKs as necessary, especially as it's a chilly spring and most of us are eager to hit the trails.
My big ones are tweezers, eyewash, immodium, allergy meds, ibuprofen (lots of that). I have a decent selection of bandaids, gauze, alcohol wipes, and a quickclot for emergencies, but I carry what's basically a glorified snivel kit.

Back