• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Rambling Man in the Shop (and driveway)

G

I had a rambling man camped atop my driveway. I wouldn’t have called the fuzz on a homeless guy in any case, but it was just Joel, in his new travelling abode, stopping by en route south.

P9180007 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Very cool, well thought out portable home.

We didn’t have time for much shop work. We barely managed to wax the hatch covers and decks of the Nomad, which had undergone some repairs and EZ-Poxy bottom painting.

P9180002 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

P9180004 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That wax job (Meguiars Premium Marine wax), once buffed off, was largely pointless. The UV faded hull needs buffing compound and several coats of wax. That ain’t never gonna happen, but at least it is a little UV wax protected to prevent further fading.

Still faded deck red up the long driveway it went. All yours to haul Joel; as usual I didn’t do a lick of work.

P9180005 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

In my purely supervisory roll I did point out spots Joel had missed when buffing out the decks. Glad to help buddy. And spots he missed when buffing out the wax on the camper trailer. That is an oversized object to wax, and I had some never used electric drill buffing pads. Better for Joel to wax and buff an entire house than I; take ‘em with you.

Well, there ladder work issues in adjusting the now-two boats and bike on the van roof, involving two-man/two ladder efforts, hoisting everything into place from the side. Much easier to load those 18’-19’ long boats from the rear using rollers or glides, without the Micro Minnie blocking the way, but we managed, and it all (two boats, one bike) fits and clears the trailer in sharp turns.

P9180009 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Including some no-rub gap between the boats, and the bike pedals.

P9180008 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Not nearly enough time in the shop with my best workmate partner, but it was a quickie visit with minor boatwork, fruitless hull waxing and material/parts distribution, capping off our evening with snifters of 101 Wild Turkey, toasting the passing of the Notorious RBG.

Heading to his place in the Everglades, with the US currently up to the Greek alphabet in hurricane names, I can’t blame him for boogying south toot sweet.

A year or two ago I mailed Joel a small sample of Dynel sleeve. He freaking used that piece of scrap to repair a boat. This time I sent him off with some longer lengths of Dynel sleeve, various flat and bias woven glass tapes and 4” and 6” peel ply tapes (in Joel labeled baggies) and new grab handles for the Nomad, all easily spared shop excess.

Joel has, in his oft declared words, “Too many craps man”, scattered across Maine, Maryland, Virginia, Florida and points west. So of course I always try to add to his collection before he leaves.

Joel, I want the Caribou in the shop for a week or two, or residing here over a summer season while you are guiding in Maine.

The orange, white and black “Orioles” colored Caribou hull has a full keel-length stripe of graphite powder and black pigment from past repairs to the vee bottom (egads, we used some E-glass), so I can use more of the black EZ-Poxy after any further repairs. And the once vibrant “Orioles orange” spray paint stripes along the busted chine repairs are now faded to a sickly pink.

Sickly pink is not your color Joel. Not anyone’s color.

Back