• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Rack Repair, and rant

Reaction score
One of my Thule towers broke where the bar passes through the tower.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

It was a tower for the rear bar. I discovered this during tie-down of two boats. Me and the boats were due at the put in with little time to spare. I grabbed the bar and gave it a shake. Seemed stable fore, aft, and down, and I decided to proceed with the trip, which went okay.

Hats off, again, to g-flex. I was amazed that g-flex bonded the cracked tower together. The cracked pieces were sprung apart, it took a vice to encourage them back into line, and I was just gluing thin edges back together. I didn’t expect it to hold together and just glued it on a “let’s see“ basis.
With the crack closed, I was able to add some fiberglass over the crack, and the repair looks solid.
IMG_8114.jpeg

I’ve been out twice more, using the repaired rack on local trips. I’d kind of like to keep the repaired tower in use and see if it would hold over the long term, but that seems risky and I’ve ordered replacements from eBay.

The rant: Thule and Yakima don’t sell anything cheap. At first I didn’t mind, thinking this stuff will last the rest of my life. And, it might have. But the car didn’t last, so I needed new clips to fit the replacement vehicle. And, Yakima had come out with improved towers, and the clips for the new car were only compatible with their new towers, so fork over several hundred dollars for new towers. There was nothing wrong with the old towers, Yakima was just obsoleting my towers. Ka-ching (clips) and several ka-chings for the tower replacements. And what do we do with the old clips and towers? You can try selling them, but they’d only be useful to somebody with the same vehicle they came off, a limited market if you keep vehicles a long time.

Thule caused my current rant, but it was Yakima back then. They seem to operate on similar “product evolution strategies.” When I moved into pick-up trucks, I used a home-made rack system that I have to say were my best racks ever, which I used about ten years before getting a cap on the truck. The cap came with Thule towers that fit into a track on the cap. I sold that truck, but kept the towers which mounted into some track pieces McCray gifted and I mounted to my new van. All was good until the tower cracked.

I was not surprised to learn Thule no longer sells those towers.

I faxed a photo of the tower to Jarret, at Rack Warehouse, and he identified my tower as a Trackerfoot 430. There were no identifying marks on the tower so I couldn’t search for replacement towers, because I didn’t know for what I should search. Thank you, Rack Warehouse for having a phone number (if Thule has phone support, I couldn’t find the number), and thanks, Jarret, for being so helpful.

Thanks, CT for a providing a place to rant. Not much point, but I feel better.

Attachments

• IMG_8113.jpeg
    IMG_8113.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0233.jpeg
    IMG_0233.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 16
It took me a long time to accept how strong fiber reinforced plastics are. But I'm sure they won't last forever. I'm curious how long these towers were in use.

Your repairs look good, and replacing is a good plan.

For a while I had Yakima towers and crossbars for my Odyssey. But they were really disappointing because it took so long to put them on. I was really frustrated, given the price of the towers they should have gone on in just a few minutes.

Chip- I got one for you. Message me your shipping address.

Send me a photo of the bottom to make sure I send the right one. I have a couple variations of that style.

Disregard- I just reread and saw you got some on eBay.

Bob

Last edited:
Chip- I got one for you. Message me your shipping address.

Bob
Thanks, anyway, Bob. You’re the second person with similar offer.

I used to think dealing in used rack parts would make a good business. Collect peoples’ obsolete-to-them clips, towers, and other bits for resale. i guess with online sales platforms, we have kind of the same thing. But your offer illustrates the point: you know this stuff is out there, lying in a box of parts in somebody’s garage. The challenge is making the connection.

It took me a long time to accept how strong fiber reinforced plastics are. But I'm sure they won't last forever. I'm curious how long these towers were in use.
I’m guessing the towers were used about 14 years. More than once, the rack, or objects tied to the racks, came in contact with items such as tree limbs, fences, the side of a Wrigely Field area row house, or garage. Thankfully, the guy near Wrigley who rented parking in his yard was driving when he put the dent in his house, and the canoe was undamaged. I add this to point out that during its useful life, the tower had undergone unusual stresses that no doubt contributed to the crack.

I’ve had the same problem. Change vehicles and all of a sudden all new rack equipment is needed. I’ve got a bunch of good towers, etc., hanging around somewhere from several vehicle changes. It has occurred to me to offer them here. Next time I see them, I will.

I sympathize with your frustration. I have been using Yakima racks for decades on numerous different vehicles and have been able to contInue using the same base racks. But I have a collection of obsolete clips for different vehicles and various other Yakima parts. Thus far I have been able to avoid purchasing Yakima aero bars. There is a large used marketplace for used racks. It seems sellers ask quite high prices for used racks but some have been flexible on what they will take. When I have sold racks I generally get $40-60.00/set but I am able to sell them quickly. It probably helps that I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time (example: I have had my Mazda for 15 years next month).

when I priced new racks for a Ford Maverick, Yakima thought it was perfectly reasonable to ask $1800 for them.
Hahaha no.
Still have the round Yakima racks with rain-gutter towers from my 82 Econoline, I found with my current pickup you can mount some c-channel to the camper shell and the rain-gutter towers fit that perfectly.. so will do the same thing should I live so long as to get the new truck.
Back when I bought those racks, Yakima was reasonably priced. They certainly have lasted well.

The issue with racks, towers and the various accessories is why I now only carry my boats on my truck. I've got a cap on the truck so I bolted on a set of rain gutter attachments for the rear rack. For the front I use a suction cup rack with a strap that goes through the truck door frame.
I've now used this set up on three trucks so it's as "interchangeable" as I'm going to find as far as I can see. I've never had any boat movement at highway speeds and have felt comfortable transporting my boats in all sorts of weather and traffic conditions. It's amazing how much this arrangement has saved me over the years.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back