• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Puzzle lake, Ontario

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have been planning trips for this year but unfortunately ill family members have been a priority for the early summer.
I buried an Aunt last Saturday and here in Canada we had a long weekend so I headed out on a one night trip to an area called Puzzle Lake Provincial Park in Ontario.
It is an easily accessible Non Operating park. What I mean by that is that there is a boat launch, easy portages and its free!
I have been thinking about traveling to this park for quit some time. the feedback that I received from various forums was that it is largely unknown and Bear lake is a little remote and thus quite.
Non of this is true but that is not to say it is not worth exploring. The countryside is a combination of high cliffs, rock and dense bush. I do not fish but several family members have confirmed that the fishing is outstanding. There are no maintained campsites so common sense will tell you where to camp. I ended up on a very large island. there was a makeshift fire ring and someone had been good enough to gather together enough wood for a months worth of nightly fires.

So, I made it through, found a nice campsite, got set up and was feeling a little sad having just lost one of my Aunts who is very close to me. I dont normally build fires as I think they are a little dangerous and well...hard work. But this night I had an urge. When i was a kid we would visit my Aunt and Uncle on there farm and have many fires (dont ask about the time we set the fence line on fire), so this night in her honor I would chase away the night and have a night of contemplation. So I got the fire going and then I could here loud splashing. couldn't see anything so i figured there must be another camp and they were swimming. Then it got louder then I saw some guy paddling his Kayak. He came straight for me, a young guy, got within 10' of the shore and said " hello sir, do you know if there are any other campsites further up"? I said "no but you had better find one its gonna be dark in 15 minutes". "OK thanks" Off he went and quickly found an island maybe 400' from my island site. He quickly got a fire going and there was a couple camped on the other side of the lake from me, maybe 800'. so we had 3 fires going. then the funny part.
Cell phone conversation;
yeah Dave, its me, i found a spot,
No come over, its sweet
I know you got the beer but i got the food and the bottle opener
No dumb arse they dont twist off
I got a fire going, there's 3 fires we are the furthest one and there are 2 old dudes with the other two fires
Yeah 2 old dudes dont piss them off.

I had to laugh!

Attachments

• photo4653.JPG
    photo4653.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • photo4654.JPG
    photo4654.JPG
    649.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4655.JPG
    photo4655.JPG
    556.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4656.JPG
    photo4656.JPG
    880.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4657.JPG
    photo4657.JPG
    637.3 KB · Views: 1
I drove by Puzzle L last holiday Monday. Never been there, and perhaps we should've stopped and dropped our canoe in for a couple hours; would've been a nice break from driving. (We'd done that elsewhere earlier in the day.) Thanks for sharing your getaway John. Condolences regarding your aunt.

Nice little trip, I got a cuckle out of that cell phone conversation you overheard. Nothing like a little get away to smooth things out.

Back