• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Pulling in my gunnels on my MR Guide

Reaction score
Hi, I want to pull the gunnels in on my Mad River Guide which are wide at around 32”. What I’d like to hear is how far is the it possible to go before I screw up? I read that the specs are 29” so I should be able to get to there, however….what’s the limit? Thanks for your feedback

Specs for width seem to range a bit. Guide/Courier/Freedom.
Has seat and thwarts been changed that you can tell? Discussions I have seen indicate that Royalex boats are pretty tolerant. PBlanc and others participated in good conversation about changing thwart length on paddling.com. As much as 2 1/2" of give. Rocker is decreased as boat narrows.
I took in the thwarts of my Sunburst II by 2" with no discernable difference in performance. Easy task as I have a pedestal seat so only had to change thwarts (used old hockey sticks so no material cost and a bit of Canadian flare)
I have a renewed intention to measure impact effect of different lengths on rocker and "feel" but may not get around to it. Just came off the water at Palmer's Rapids and appreciated the increased narrowness and did not miss possible decreased rocker - especially for desired use of boat for down river tripping rather than significant play.

No harm trying different beam widths. Narrowing beam should decrease rocker a bit, but how much varies with different hull shapes, widths and lengths. You might want to just use some scrap wood for temporary thwarts, rather than shortening your good ones, until you are positive you want to shorten the thwarts and by how much.

As far as I know, the seat and thwarts were original. At least they seem like it when I got it- but then no telling how many had it before me! I just made new cherry thwarts and a new seat and pulled it in to 30” and now have they itch to go more. I do share your desire to try different widths but time seems to get in the way plus the fact that I need water closer than I have to try every time. Guess could just use ratchet straps and then measure what feels best! No time like this weekend

Back