• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

Portage Pack or Dry Bag

No Title

I've used a cheap 110L plastic portage pack for the past couple of years (canvas packs do not fit in everyone's budget!)

Probably going to move to a Cooke's Custom Pack this season. Looking at the Pioneer Pack...seems like a great size for the bulk of one's kit, but would like a provision for an axe.

Attachments

• photo1781.jpeg
    photo1781.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 0
Occasionally I use a day pack.. And my absolute favorite because it has lots of pockets to separate lunch from work gear and allow water bottles too is made by Alder Stream Canvas. Its the Expedition. Jane makes wonderful traditional gear and I urge you to check out her whole website.
http://www.alderstream.wcha.org/packs.html

Probably going to move to a Cooke's Custom Pack this season. Looking at the Pioneer Pack...seems like a great size for the bulk of one's kit, but would like a provision for an axe.

There are lashing straps on the side of the Pioneer pack. Never carried an axe in the canoe so don't know how they'd work. If I can remember (doubtful) I'll try it when I get home.

Alan

Do any of you know of a canadian canvas pack maker that would make canoe pack in the style of the Frost River/Duluth packs with the same hight quality??
The value of our dollar right now forbid me to buy in the USA:(

For many years I used canvas packs. Three layers of garbage bags inside to keep things dry. I do not miss them one little bit. My Woods #2 with its thin little leather straps that acted more like a shoulder tourniquet than a carrying device. Sodden canvas packs soaking up the water in the canoe on a rainy day. Nope, I'll take a sealine or barrel any day, I value easy creature comforts.

Dan Cooke will do any sort of custom alteration you would like.CCS is a two person company. I've carried an axe under the compression straps and slid into the pocket at the bottom but if that is not to your liking contact Dan.

I have a big granite gear portage pack that is my main pack. It was expensive but it is very rugged and it holds up to beat the band. Its been to the arctic twice and dozens of other trips. Never let me down. I also use duluth packs - one small one that carries my tarp(s) and tarp stakes and lines. I used to use big heavy plastic bags that fit in the portage packs but last year I sprung for an Ostrum pack liner and so far I like that a lot. Its a bit more reliable than the plastic bag technique which I used for years without any real problem. Packs will float and stay pretty darn dry with a heavy plastic liner. I always put my sleeping bag in its own waterproof compression sack inside the portage pack. I use a down bag so I have to be really careful about my bag getting wet. I usually use wanigans for food and cooking gear etc but that depends on the trip. I have used barrels or plastic pails type deals for food and gear as well. I rarely trip solo and I enjoy group meals and cooking etc. so that affects my choices.

Dan Cooke is great I agree. I have two CCS tarps and one big CCS screened tarp for arctic/tundra type trips. I have been very happy with them.

Last edited:
Hey canotrouge, there's Wood's canoe packs. https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/store/Woods-Canoe-Packs.html
My brother has an old one, and loves it. That might just be nostalgia, or maybe they're good, I don't know. The old one I was generously gifted with (thanks mem) feels rugged and ready for anything. But like mem says, soggy canvas with thin leather straps isn't a comfort thing. Despite all that I'll use it, and it'll likely be passed down to my kids. They might fight over it, and the loser will likely get the ugly blue barrel.

Thank you, but are the wood's still made in Canada?? I always go back to look at the Woods, but they don't look as nicely made as a Frost River or even a Duluth...

Last edited:
Just checked out Woods packs. Wow my Number 2 is worth a lot of sheckles. https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/store/Woods-Canoe-Packs.html

You know, those canvas packs and specialized packs are worth a lot of dough. I don't really get it, we're canoeing, not hiking. For most of us, our longest port will be a mile or two. I can get a barrel and harness for under a 100 bucks, and it will last forever. Sealine packs are often even cheaper, although not as long lived. You can trick out your barrels too and make them multi functional. Don't know me, I like easy, cheap and waterproof.

I like the barrels for food... Actually I hate barrels, even for food, they are a pain to find anything in there. every thing you need is always at the bottom, I hate them... But use them for food cause, they are ok and some what bear(smell) proof...

You're both getting near the mark, canotrouge and memaquay. I chose convenience and comfort over tradition. I'm not intending to pick any fights here. This is just my view. An ugly rubbery dry pack tricked out with suspension harness keeps my stuff nice and dry, and me nice and comfy when carrying it. That's important to me. Likewise the barrel works nicely too. The same reason I chose an "ugly" asymmetrical "plastic" canoe. Light and inexpensive= convenient and comfort. It's not for everybody. I picked this stuff for me, and me only. The trip is all about the experience. Suffering is not what I have in mind for a tripping experience. Bugs? I'd rather find ways of eliminating that discomfort. Cold? I try to prevent it. Wet, wet, wet? I can put up with some, but don't want to come home completely puckered up like I sat in a bath tub for 5 days. Pain and strain from physical exertion? I like some exercise, but I'll not punish myself for the extreme joy of extreme discomfort. I try to pick the gear that'll save me from the worst of a trip's discomforts. That's just me, it needn't be any of you out there. We all make our choices. I like learning of-from others.
memaqauy, I just checked the price of my SealLine pro, and it now tops 200$. I paid 165$ a few years ago. I still consider it a deal, but prices keep going up and up. It won't be long before a couple garbage bags in an old canvas pack will look real good again.

You're right, the pro pack has gone up,, but the boundary water one is still around 125 bucks. I've got a couple of those still in use that I picked up at the Toronto Sportsman show over ten years ago. Paid 65 bucks each then.

I'll tell you guys what is funny. Funny weird maybe. I keep going down to the basement and digging out the 30L blue barrel. I then try to stuff it into the old Woods canvas pack to see if it'll fit nice and snug. Nope. Round peg in a square hole. Every few months I repeat the exercise. I wonder what it says about me. Do I hate the barrel that much? Do I hate the barrel harness? Do I hanker for a traditional disguise for my ugly giant plastic Mason jar? I dunno. Which reminds me. I haven't checked the fit of my barrel and canvas pack for awhile. I'll be right back.

Odyssey, don't get me wrong, I am actually going the traditional rout, with the help of Mem, I will be using 2 canvas pack this summer, but that said, Idon't do portage, or really short one if I have to do them.... I'm also planing on getting a wood canvas canoe... I use Bean boots most of the time wile on trips, make my own paddle in a classic St-Francis Abenaki style in sitka spruce, and use a canvas wall tent on most of our trips, the than in june july and august!

Don't worry about any impressions I have of you canotrouge. They are only good ones. I admire your choices of gear and travel (and places). I've made choices of what works for me, but I'm always questioning my choices...looking at what choices other people make. Please share your trip experiences and experiments with us.

Don't worry about any impressions I have of you canotrouge. They are only good ones. I admire your choices of gear and travel (and places). I've made choices of what works for me, but I'm always questioning my choices...looking at what choices other people make. Please share your trip experiences and experiments with us.

As soon as the water return to its liquid form I will report on my paddling life...

Thanks rouge, I'm looking forward to it.
What do you intend to use for food storage? What problems are there to think about with food packs?

Thanks rouge, I'm looking forward to it.
What do you intend to use for food storage? What problems are there to think about with food packs?

I wouldn't use a pack for food... We are in bear country here, big bear country... I think I would like to use wanigans instead of the barrels. From my experience with bears, black and grizz, is that if there is little smell, they don't tend to bother you. So a well made wanigan, would keep the smell in and not out, just like a barrel do. And also, mice and mustelidae won't get through like they could on a pack.

The Bear Vault is certified bear-proof by some organization that certifies stuff. Better than that, it's dog-certified odor-proof. My dog (an Aussie who lives by his nose) just loves the smell of beef jerky and trail mix. If I put that stuff in the BV and leave the lid slightly open (not quite sealed) he pays a lot of attention to it. If I close the lid tight and leave it for a while, when we come back to it he just sniffs once, looks at me as if to say, "What happened?" and walks away.

Back