• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Poll: How often do you paddle alone (one boat) vs. with a group?

How often do you paddle alone (one boat) vs. with a group?

• Never

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Rarely

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • About half the time

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Mostly

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Almost always

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Always

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters
I ran the St. John river again this past May with my father and 22 others. Although a great group of people I find that paddling solo is what I prefer, however, I will never pass down a trip with my father but those opportunities are winding down. I like the ease of planning, traveling and paddling at my own pace on solo trips. Solo paddling is like stealth paddling and I have always encountered an abundance of wildlife while paddling solo, while not so much (or any at all) with group trips. Too much jibber jabber.
cherish every moment with him, even if it means finding another paddler and letting him ride princess. My father passed recently, and until his final day paddling and fishing were his favourite topics of conversation, his last paddle was 6 years ago at 85...

cherish every moment with him, even if it means finding another paddler and letting him ride princess. My father passed recently, and until his final day paddling and fishing were his favourite topics of conversation, his last paddle was 6 years ago at 85...
Couldn't agree more with you. Thanks for sharing your story.

How often do you go out alone in a solo canoe or just the two of you in a tandem canoe vs. paddling with at least a two boat group? Let's say in the past 10 years of your paddling career, because these things change over time.

In my serious whitewater days I was always with a group, often as the leader, 20-40 years ago. In those days there also were more flat water canoe clubs around, and I led flat water trips, too. Still, I'd paddle alone fairly frequently because it's hard to find someone else to paddle when and where I want to.

In the past 10 years it has been increasingly hard find paddling groups, especially open canoe groups. so I've almost always gone alone since then.

(P.S. This poll is completely anonymous, unless you want to talk about your vote as I have, and you can change your vote within the 48 hour editing period.)
Almost always solo now. I retired my Old Town Trippers and discoveries, and have moved on to a Swift Cruiser 14.8 for flat water, and a Nova Craft Prospector 15 for moving water I had ordered from the factory set up for solo. (removable thwart and only one seat). I did pick up an Esquif prospector 15 in T-formex for a guest canoe, or to use when I do want to go tandem.

Most of my tripping buddies have moved away. I need new friends. If only I liked people :)!

I actually only know one other person that owns a canoe and I don’t know him well enough to invite him paddling.

I see I answered the poll but didn't comment. My neighborhood has a put-in that accesses the Connecticut River, so there are many canoes here. However, my neighbors only paddle with their small children as a family outing, and once the kids are grown the canoes don't get used anymore. I'd be very happy to paddle with them if I also had small children, but I don't, and I don't think any of them think of paddling as something to do other than to entertain their kids and have family time. So I paddle alone mostly, or in a tandem with my wife.

Would love to do an Appalachian Mountain Club group paddle, but haven't figured out how to make that happen yet.

I missed this first time around. Long treks last few years have been solo; before that mostly tandem with my son. Half my day trips have been with a local group - Thousand Island Land Trust - and that is in the 20s usually.

I've always done a fair amount of solo canoeing even if there were people around to paddle with. But I moved and don't know many canoeists that live close by, so I solo more often now by default. I've traveled an hour or two to meet a small group for a day paddle and that worked out well. It would be nice to have a regular group to canoe with.

Back