• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Poll: How many women canoe? (Update: Detours into a Peeing in the Woods Thread around post #42)

Poll: How many women canoe? (Update: Detours into a Peeing in the Woods Thread around post #42)

• Male canoe day paddler?

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Male canoe tripper/camper?

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Female canoe day paddler?

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Female canoe tripper/camper?

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
Yellowcanoe, hiking skirts are an "in" thing in the backpacking community, so who knows about women wearing skirts or dresses when they canoe. Might have a wardrobe malfunction getting into a sea kayak cockpit, but I confess I haven't ever tried it:)

At the risk of hijacking a thread which is ill mannered and turning off every guy here..... I knew of pareos in the hiking community to keep things private above treeline. I am co leading a session on how to pee in the backcountry for ladies at the next WCHA Assembly.

I have taught one lady in a skirt but she was 84.
See guys, you do have an advantage....
Snakeybird PM me if you have ideas for appliances useful in that situation.. I have one FUD a She Wee
http://www.backpacker.com/skills/the-complete-guide-to-female-urination-devices/

Last edited:
YC, regarding peeing in the wilderness, how about on the yukon during the YRQ and Y1K races. I've paddled those races with as many as 4 females (plus 2 guys) in my voyageur canoe. And we do not stop the boat to pee, not for male nor female. the mandatory first stop on the YRQ does not occur until some 190 miles/ 21 hours after the race start, and on the Y1K, we paddle continuously for the fully allowed max of 18 hours/day. the ladies have some interesting contraptions that I've heard are only marginally effective. Of course with me paddling in the bow I am not allowed to see the river behind me during certain critical times. Guys just use the standard gatoraid bottle.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm starting out as a day paddler and hope to move into the tripper/camper category as skills and experience improve. I have done multi-day kayak camping in the San Juans and look forward to finding tripping in the canoe.

Some random idea that struck me was to paddle the Columbia River from Bonneville to the Pacific. Sounds interesting and I might be able to con a friend or two into joining me. I don't know too many folks who seriously canoe out here - which is why I joined this forum (thank you Robin). You folks are truly an inspiration.

At the risk of hijacking a thread which is ill mannered and turning off every guy here..... I knew of pareos in the hiking community to keep things private above treeline. I am co leading a session on how to pee in the backcountry for ladies at the next WCHA Assembly.

I have taught one lady in a skirt but she was 84.
See guys, you do have an advantage....
Snakeybird PM me if you have ideas for appliances useful in that situation.. I have one FUD a She Wee
http://www.backpacker.com/skills/the...ation-devices/

Women, can't live with em, and they can't pee standin up.

I kid. In my experience, that seems to be a big issue for the ladys to get started in the outdoors. As far as we're concerned it's not. Everybody has to do their business in the woods, according to mixed up colloquialisms, so does the pope.

Last edited:
Women, can't live with em, and they can't pee standin up.

I kid. In my experience, that seems to be a big issue for the ladys to get started in the outdoors. As far as we're concerned it's not. Everybody has to do their business in the woods, according to mixed up colloquialisms, so does the pope.

I don't understand your post. Yes I can pee standing up.. I learned long ago that that relief zipper in drysuits is usable by both male and female.. An ammonia bottle with a side cut out made a good extender.. The trick was to remember to wear mens underwear. However ammonia bottles are a bulky single use item. Canoe trippers like dual purpose items.

All the devices I am researching are designed to make standing up urination possible without wetting ones pants.

For example on the Green RIver you pee in the river. This is not possible by squatting in the river ( the mud will suck you down) and squatting on the edge will get you in the river too as the banks are friable and will collapse that close to the edge

Hence the utility of a Stand Tall and Pee device

Hey its Not Too Far from Stand Up and Pole!

Are you suggesting we should get a She Wee and try standing and peeing off the canoe (downwind of course)? I would want to practice my self rescue techniques first:) That might become a great peeing outdoors story (and I've got a few good ones already....)

I think I should update the title of the original post to indicate the redirection of the contextual flow....

Not to be crude but in my youth I had a female friend who could use a urinal standing up, it was her party piece, she told me it is all about pursing the outlet with her fingers to target the flow where she wanted it to go before letting it flow and she could chase the urinal puck up and down the trough as good as any of us penis wielders.

Safe to say my youth is filled with crazy stories and people

It's OK folks. I updated the thread title to reflect the current topic. I don't consider it thread hijacking, as peeing outside seems to be a real barrier for many women in terms of outdoor activities, and thus is relevant to the original topic, IMHO.

So if you want to discuss FUD's, have at it!

Last edited:
My experience with trying to get other woman out into the bush is less about pee'ing and more about hygiene. When I tell them to not bring perfume or deodorant I get funny looks. They ask how we bathe daily... we don't. I tell them most of the time they will be saturated in bug juice and you need to be in the tent before dark... Manitoba Mosquito's are exceptionally plentiful and voracious. We pee everywhere, just not in the woods and that really isn't an issue, it is the other things they have to go without that keeps them from coming with us. It is unfortunate considering the awesome fishing out in the back country they are missing out on.

Yes some are deterred by ...what no showers? Though swimming is fine there seems to be a need by some gals for a shower.. Now I understand this in the ocean context. No one wants to feel sticky.

I also think that if you can get them out there they forget all about that daily shower. The first shove out the door is the hardest.

It doesn't surprise me that there are a lot of women in paddle sports. From what I see young men today are more interested in recreating with a motor.

In over 25 years of tripping I have only seen one women tripping solo and maybe two groups of female tandem paddlers. Day tripping is a different story but kayaks domimate.

My wife likes to paddle her own boat, she enjoys tripping but it takes a little arm twisting to get her to go. She enjoys being outdoors observing nature and the fact that a #4 Duluth pack makes butt look thinner.:)

Well I discussed the pee pee thing with my wife. She's been going in the woods for decades of course, but wasn't aware of those genius devices. She thinks it would be awesome to own one. I've promised to "surprise" her with one for Christmas. She insists it not be in her stocking, but instead wrapped and under the tree along with everything else. (What everything else?) I think she just wants to see how I'll manage to wrap it.

Well I discussed the pee pee thing with my wife. She's been going in the woods for decades of course, but wasn't aware of those genius devices. She thinks it would be awesome to own one. I've promised to "surprise" her with one for Christmas. She insists it not be in her stocking, but instead wrapped and under the tree along with everything else. (What everything else?) I think she just wants to see how I'll manage to wrap it.

Great gift idea, are you going to but a new one or a used one?

Back