• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Poling the Farmington River, CT

Reaction score
This happened back in 07 if the dates are correct on my camera, a group of us got together for an afternoon of poling and snubbing, poling is going up stream, snubbing is going downstream standing with a pole for control.
Here's DougD in the red canoe, Riverstridder in the brown and MarshallM in the yellow Explorer. That's my old Explorer up on the bank. This was taken on the bridge by the Hitchcock Chair Factory, Riverton, CT

3polers_zps1685f037.jpg

Heading downstream

2polers_zps05f03a88.jpg

DougD jumps up on the gunnels, be careful, wouldn't want to tip and spill that cooler full of soda pop:p

gunnelwalkerDougD_zps385b66b5.jpg

Riverstidder going downstream
Riverstider2_zps4b17cbbc.jpg

MattM snubbing with his home made "HomeDepot" pole
woops_zps0fa90fb6.jpg

Marshall poling upstream, pretty darn good poler.
Marshall_zps92ed6988.jpg

MattM at a relaxed pace

Matt_zpsd718d5ef.jpg

Riverstidder with an "aircraft aluminium" pole

Riverstider_zps45be53d1.jpg

A good day poling!

Great action shots - looks like an exciting stretch of water! Hoping to become that proficient with a pole one day. Thanks for the inspiration.

It 's the p-net poling dream-team! My dream is to someday have a chance to pole with them. Great photos, Robin!

geez, Robin, ya' finally got your darkroom finished and developed those shots I see. :p Yeah, that was the end of may 2007 when I threw a rendezvous here in Ct. with some help from Robin, Chuck and a couple others.Had about 35 people total, NJ, NY, MA, CT,NH, RI represented. My wife Janice had a one liner that floored me when I told her what days we were having it...."Oh, our anniversary" :confused: OOOPS....well, still married...and 9 poles later I'm still loving standing up in a proper river vessel.
Steve, you're welcome here anytime, and I may, just may, get out to see you if I can put a plan together, though the end of may is out of the question haha.

i still run my MRC EXPRESS16 for empty sport. although i like poling my old town appalachian with a load. since you sold me the MRC ME i am a whitewater maine-e-ack. the dog passed last summer and it just won't be the same running the big rivers upta north maine wood. lots of snow on the ground and that whitewater in the bank! i hope my boat last a bit till i get a true creeker. i do need new gunnels on the left side. cracked them in a big hole on the dead river last summer.

Attachments

• big+red+harry.jpg
    big+red+harry.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 0
  • novakane sleeps.jpg
    novakane sleeps.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
You look so relaxed in the snowy picture.. I can't get the last one to enlarge.. A good dog is missed forever..

Last edited:
Hey Harry, old Robbie gives a life time warranty, I'll be passing over the big green bridge in May on my way to a wood canvas group trip, I can bring the ash and we can make it all good....
sorry about the pup.

no need for a warranty the way i have used this boat. i put a lot of hours on the water. surfing it side surfing and swamping in class3+. i take very good care of her always. the scrapes and scares on her bottom tell a wicked story. i got a nice shop in the basement and a fold out in the living room for you. kittery is a good pitstop for your northward trip. ps. the big green bridge is in my back yard.

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 0
i like poling alone.

Me too. But I feel I have progressed to a point where I could learn much better if I followed someone with more experience once in a while. And it would be good to have someone to laugh at occasionally (and laugh at me).

Sorry about your dog. I had to lay my yellow lab Gilda to rest last year too. YC is right - missed forever.

Back