• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Plans for 2013?

Reaction score
In my dotage time slips away fast if I do not plan things. I might ergo take a nap.

So I am planning for 2013. So far I want to paddle the Everglades in January and the Myakka and Weeki Watchee Rivers. I only got that far.

I am also thinking of paddling the doughnut shaped Manicougan Reservoir in Quebec as part of Labrador and rest of Newfoundland journey. We will probably take a sea kayak and the Rapid Fire. I really want to paddle out of Twilingate NL. Its beautiful there.

I would like to do PA rivers in May and segue to the Adirondacks for a short trip with hot tent. And a solo in Puskaskwa NP and also a trip down the entire French River.

The last two are week to ten day trips, so maybe it is realistic. Manicougan might take a week.

My only paddling plan besides small weekend trips is when my father comes to visit next august. Not sure where we will go as he is unable to portage much (his words). It will be in the Adks for sure. My other big plans are backpacking the NPT again; possibly turning around when I get to Placid and just hiking back to my car.

Last edited:
Have tentative plans for a trip to Deer Isle, Stonington, Maine so I may have to pass on paddling in the Daks for 2013 after five straight years.

No real canoeing trips planned. Just bought my first house so time and extra (travel) money is real slim. Might have to settle for a few weekend trips. A trip to the daks was planned but may get canceled, unless you guys can convince me to join a meet up there.

Have tentative plans for a trip to Deer Isle, Stonington, Maine so I may have to pass on paddling in the Daks for 2013 after five straight years.

That is a great trip. I have been taking my RapidFire recently. Did a four day trip to Isle Au Haut and camped there, also camped on Harbor the first day when the fog socked in.

I've got my usual long weekend WW trips - Dumoine, Petawawa, Lower Madawaska in the calendar already.
A week or so in June will be in La Vérendrye Reserve, Quebec, looking for a north-sorth route.
It looks like my little paddling group cancelled the July Snake River Yukon trip and substituted the Yukon River instead. I got out-voted!
There is also my must-do week-long sea kayak trip on Georgian Bay slated for August.
For September, October, November, I'd like to get some short photography specific overnighters done whenever the skies are clear. Heading out to Algonquin Park bright and early Monday for a three nighter just 'cause I'm getting antsy. It has to be a Park as, right now, there is just too much hunting going on around here on Crown Land.
Cheers Ted

Well, the vet just replaced my smoked left eye lens with some new plastic thing and Wow! the world has gotten sharper and brighter! My plan was to wait until I didn't have much to loose and then have it done, shoulda done it sooner. After Christmas I'll get the other one done too!
Now my plan for '13 is to get all the way to the end of Ross lake, all the way up just over the Canadian border. (probably had best leave my pistol at home for that one)
I know that by your standards, all you folks back east, it's small potatoes but for me it'll be something. If the site is still up then I'll try to post photos and a trip report.
Best Wishes, Rob

I'm heading back to the Yukon Territory for another race down the big river in June. This will be my fourth trip there, two on the Y1K and two YRQ. The Yukon keeps a strong hold upon you.

Lots of crew training weekends and small local races to enter, then the Adirondack Classic 90 Miler is always the late season capstone.

Last edited:
January – Local-ish paddling. An Assateague trip when it hopefully reopens, work in the shop and play with my sons while they’re home from college.

February/March – Southbound. Work and paddle in eastern North Carolina at the Tortoise Reserve for a week or so, maybe slip in a Hammocks Beach or Lumber River trip if I catch a warm spell while I’m there.

Keep heading south; Edisto in SC or Cumberland Island/Crooked River on the south Georgia Coast. Maybe some north Florida; Suwannee or ect trip if there is sufficient water. Meet up with a friend in the Everglades.

Turn around, head north and paddle some of the above that I missed on the way down. Be home by the middle of March when my boys are free on Spring Break.

Then something else. Maybe fool around at home locally in April and head west in May; the Green in Utah, Chirichauas in SE Arizona, Big Bend in south Texas…if not May I’ll shoot for a western swing starting in early September.

But really I have no firm plans, other than to pull the retirement plug on a 35 year university career on December 31[SUP]st,[/SUP] and see what happens when I’m not waking up at 4:50am and driving into downtown Baltimore 5 days a week.

Thank you for the information, and good luck on the race. As I was going back to Whitehorse after my
paddle from the Dempster to Fort Yukon (we flew into Fairbanks), I rode the bus with a Y1K paddler named Gordon. He introduced himself when he noticed I was wearing an Appalachian Trail t shirt and we spent some time talking. Hehad thru hiked the AT a few years before. He had wonderful stories. It's a nice memory. Pringles

I rode the bus with a Y1K paddler named Gordon. He introduced himself when he noticed I was wearing an Appalachian Trail t shirt and we spent some time talking.
That must have been 2009, the first year of the Y1K. Gordon was in a tandem, Team "Gonzos". They finished a ways behind us. :cool:

I wish we could get some more entrants in the Y1K. The YRQ, now in its 15th year, draws quite a crowd, usually over 80 boats. The Y1K is yet to really take off, but I much prefer that race over the YRQ. Much more logistics, pre-planning, real-time thought and navigation skill is involved for more than twice the distance of the YRQ, and no pit crew or other outside assistance is allowed (after the start until the very end). The challenge and week-long self sufficiency of the Y1K appeals to me much more. The first Y1K event held in 2009 was good, with few bugs to be ironed out. But there have been too few entrants in 2010, 2011, and 2012. Peter (the director) has disappointingly moved it to take place in even years only. I hope to return in 2014, but only if it looks like a reasonable competition is in play. Meanwhile I'll go back for the lesser (IMO) YRQ in 2013. Some day I'l complete the river all the way to the Bering Sea.

Last edited:
All of my 2013 paddling plans are for Adirondack trips.
I have left over plans for a Lake Lila to Lows Lake loop, and a visit to Shallow Lake via Brown's Tract Pond.
My son and nephew are demanding a return to Fish Pond.
I am still trying to do a Cedar River- Rock River loop, bu my lack of recon hampers me, I think I have to just go for it!!
Also, hopefully on the list are trips on the Hudson from Newcomb to Indian river take out, and maybe, maybe, maybe a visit to Essex Chain Lakes and Boreas Ponds, if NYS acts quickly enough.
A new goal is Terror Lake via Big Moose and Andy's Creek.
Several of the interior ponds in the Five Ponds wilderness are also on the list.

Will I get to all of these? Who knows, maybe only half of them, but it's good to dream!!

Here's a photo from yesterday's trip to Wolf Pond (on the 2012 list)

Attachments

• DSC_7018.JPG
    DSC_7018.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I find it hard to make plans anymore, being retired I can pretty much go on a whim as long as it works with that woman who tells me "ok, go ahead if you must"
I also used to be able to drive 15-20 hours non stop, sleep a little in the back of the truck, then finish the trip. Not any more, so that's figuring into the plans also. Then that $4-5 gas plays havoc with my final plans, just the thought of pumping $60-70 worth of gas into the truck for another 400 miles really gets me.

OK, enough whining...what a wussy....

I like the ADKs, but I have really liked my last 2 trips to Maine, I can see two of my Grandsons and their parents and be real close to some great tripping. So maybe another spring trip to Maine, a week is good.

I really like to trip in August, my goal is to get out to Woodland Caribou PP again, but who knows what the gas prices will do. I've been kickin' the idea of finding a person who would pay the gas from the east coast in return for use of one of my wood canvas canoes and packs, sort of a semi outfit deal....
I might get lucky and sell a canoe and use that to pay the gas. Lots of options to think about.

I really liked that fall canoe in deer hunt with the wall tent in the ADKs, that was something I plan to do again.

Beavertail, I hope to run into you in WCPP. There are tentative plans for a gathering which will be formalized at Canoecopia in March, and I would like to spend at least 25 to 30 days up there this year. (Exact dates aren't yet established.)

There will be others from Illinois and Wisconsin that are going up around that time and maybe you would only have to drive that far to meet up with one of them and share expenses from there.

Wyoming waters are frozen thus I'm stuck until March.

Plans for 2013 include Lake Powell, the Green river and my usual multi-day treks into the backcountry of the Tetons and Yellowstone. Hoping to do some paddlin' exploration on the Yellowtail (Bighorn) reservoir in Montana. This past year I had fun humpin' a little Pack canoe into some of the tiny remote glacial lakes in the Big Horns and want to do a few more of those this summer.

I've made a pledge to myself to be as scarce in town as possible this coming paddlin' season :)

Hoping to do a short trip with some friends to the Maurepas Swamp NWA (west of New Orleans) in Feb/March. Vacation plans this year will be mostly occupied by moving two daughters (one TO college, the other to wherever she goes AFTER college). If i have any time to myself, it will probably be a week on Low's Lake in the Adirondacks around Labor Day, using up whatever vacation I've accrued (and maybe just taking some unpaid time off) before I change contract jobs again (1 OCT or so).

I find it hard to make plans anymore, being retired I can pretty much go on a whim as long as it works with that woman who tells me "ok, go ahead if you must"
I also used to be able to drive 15-20 hours non stop, sleep a little in the back of the truck, then finish the trip. Not any more, so that's figuring into the plans also. Then that $4-5 gas plays havoc with my final plans, just the thought of pumping $60-70 worth of gas into the truck for another 400 miles really gets me.

As a recent retiree I’m enjoying the lack of necessity to make plans. Or at least stick to a plan; I have lots of nebulous plans for paddling the winter and spring.

I know what you mean about highway durability. I made 14 cross country driving trips in my younger days, and 12+ hours behind the wheel was an easy day. Best single driving shift ever was Albuquerque to New Orleans in a ’68 VW camper van. Since top speed in the van as 55-60mph it took 22 hours.

And I know what you mean about the pain of the pump. The big Ford van is a great, comfortable roadtripping vehicle, but filling that 35 gallon tank more than once a day is hurtful.

In my dotage I’m finding 8 to 10 hour drives approach my comfort limit, both physically and financially, and have been cogitating trip “plans” accordingly. Living in the mid-Atlantic region affords some opportunities to intersperse 8 hour drives with paddling stays long enough to make it worthwhile.

Lumber River and Hammocks Beach in coastal NC is a tankful. Another tankful to the Edisto in SC. Another to the Suwannee, another to Everglades City. Reverse and hit the places I missed on the way south.

I’d be surprised if that “plan” was followed exactly; there are plenty of places betwixt here and there I’d like to paddle.

Back