• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Placid Boatworks layup

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the durability of the Placid Boatworks XLT Ultra as compared to the Cobra XLT? Thinking about a Rapidfire and not sure which way to go.
Thanks
Fuzz

Call them and ask I have the CobraXLT and its plenty rugged. I fell on a thwart and it got bent but a fabric wrap solved that. I can't speak to the Ultra as I have no need for another boat and that option wasn't available back in 2006
Its a small shop. Joe Moore and three or four guys.

A wee suggestion that you alter the title to something like which Placid Layup.. I was led to believe this was a thread about the construction of peanut butter sandwiches.

Last edited:
Ha! You guys are funny.
Had I written PB&J, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. Nevertheless, in the interest of clairity, the title has been edited.
Though crowd! Lol.
Fuzz

Yellowcanoe, I have spoken to Joe and he assured me that the Ultra was plenty rugged. I am just looking for comments from owners based on their personal experience. Joe seems like a great guy and I have no reason to doubt him. Just thought it prudent to seek additional opinions in an effort to select the right boat for me.
Fuzz

I just think that I would be mindful of not wrapping the boat nor driving it into a garage door.. Its sometimes hard to get experiences from people who own a newer layup. Not quite enough of them yet.

PS I saw a Spitfire that lost badly vs closed garage door.. Driver hit accelerator.. not brake.

I really love my PB&J with a slathering of elderberry jam.

But I also want to hear more about the suitability of Placid's layups to different kinds of paddling. Following.

Oyster bars. The infamous Moose River. Lake Superior. About three hundred days paddling. The Everglades. The Maine Coast
The only place it's unsuitable is technical boulder strewn whitewater
I've had my RapidFire 12 years.
The boats are expensive for sure but Joe is very particular about VOC emissions from chemicals and uses a very precise infusion technology

Last edited:
Back