• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

pickup as canoe hauler rack options?

No Title

on the Honda Element, we use 78" bars we can put 2 tripping canoes side by side easily, or a lot of ww canoes on there side, like 4-5... On the truck, we have 8' bars and we can put 3 tripping canoes side by side. It end up being the same width than the truck's mirrors! Made of 2" square aluminum tubing!

Attachments

• photo2715.jpg
    photo2715.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2716.jpg
    photo2716.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 0
on the Honda Element, we use 78" bars we can put 2 tripping canoes side by side easily, or a lot of ww canoes on there side, like 4-5... On the truck, we have 8' bars and we can put 3 tripping canoes side by side. It end up being the same width than the truck's mirrors! Made of 2" square aluminum tubing!

We have 78” bars on the Taco and an old CR-V, and 8 foot Quick and Easy bars on the full sized van. None protrude past the side view mirrors, but all are easy to remove for everyday non-boat-toting driving.

The construction ladder racks I had on the old Hi-Lux would only accommodate one canoe gunwales down, but it was simply to make a couple of wood extension (slotted 2x4’s covered with outdoor carpet) that fit atop the ladder rack and provided the width needed to carry multiple boats.

Those were easy to pop and off as needed and fit (diagonally) in the 6 foot bed.

Mike, I like the extension idea in your last post. I'm thinking it could also be adapted to increase hight when needed.

Mike, I like the extension idea in your last post. I'm thinking it could also be adapted to increase hight when needed.

Steve, although added height was not needed with the ladder racks on my Hi-Lux (bench seat single cab) the carpeted wood extension bars did almost 2 inches to the height.

With the longer roofline of the club cab the drop in place extensions would be an easy way to design whatever height was needed for the bow to rest above the cab roof. I’m not a big fan of foam blocks, which have a tendency to blow off in severe winds, and I knew the rack extensions were not going anywhere.

Plus simply removing the crossbar extensions was a boon for everyday driving.

While I have never had a structural problem carrying two (at times three) boats on our Thules it was comforting to know that with the WeatherGuard I had a rack that was rated for something like 1000 lbs.

Canotrouge, are those commercially produced racks? What brand?

On the truck, the front rack/grille, is commercial and the matching back one was craftsman build( not buy me and came with the truck) I added the 8' tubing bolted through so I can remove easily. The back rack comes off in seconds.

If you go home built, I've had good luck with this white oak rack. The uprights go to the bottom of the bed as well as fitting in the stake pockets. All lap joints with two stainless 3/8" bolts per joint prevent any wracking on 90 +/- mi. logging road journeys.
Dave

That's a thing of beauty

I had a set of Yakima Racks for my old truck but they wouldn't mount on my Tacoma. I loved those racks. The box on the Tacomas are not like a regular box so using a C-clamp doesn't work. Do any of you Tacoma owners have pictures or a link to a device that will work to secure a rack or cap?

I had a set of Yakima Racks for my old truck but they wouldn't mount on my Tacoma. I loved those racks. The box on the Tacomas are not like a regular box so using a C-clamp doesn't work. Do any of you Tacoma owners have pictures or a link to a device that will work to secure a rack or cap?

My 2013 Tacoma has a reveal along the inside lip of the bed rail, for use with those sillyasssed clamps that come with the truck.

I wouldn’t trust those clamps to hold a rack in place, but some beefier clamp might be modified to fit in that slot. Maybe modify a cap clamp somehow?

http://www.sears.com/c-r-laurence-c...PM5840472903&gclid=CNP265md580CFY5Zhgodo2QEbQ

It might be worth driving to a cap and rack vendor with the old Yakima racks in the bed and see if they have ideas or a manufactured product that would work. The business I bought my Leer cap from (Wildasin in Hanover PA) was very knowledgeable and helpful, so much so that I went back a couple of times as I was outfitting the truck to pick their brains.

Uh, I just went out and looked at the Taco to refresh my memory. The Leer cap is bolted in place via a –I shaped chuck that fits precisely in that bedrail reveal. I bet a visit to some cap and rack vendor will provide a solution for reusing the Yakima racks.

BTW, as mentioned earlier, Leer caps use Thule stuff, A.R.E. caps use Yakima, so an A.R.E. dealer might be familiar with the problem.

http://www.4are.com/

If you decide to put a cap on the bed that’s a whole nother decision making process.

I use those Clamps all the time. I find they work great. No to hold a cap though

I'll check out a dealer next time I'm in the city. Thanks for the reply

I use the fake raingutters and have for thirty years so this comment of mine is irrelevant
Leer caps use Thule stuff, A.R.E. caps use Yakima, so an A.R.E. dealer might be familiar with the problem.

I have had Leer caps for thirty years and Yakima racks too.. I guess I am a cross dresser.

Back to on topic.

Red, on further reflection it seems likely that Yakima would have a clamp designed to hold their racks onto that peculiar Tacoma bedrail.

Tacomas are popular trucks, and rack manufacturers make towers and clips and etc designed to work with specific models. I can’t imagine Yakima would forgo the Tacoma market for want of a bedrail clamp designed for use with their truck bed racks.

Well, I am no closer to making a decision, but at least I have a better awareness of my options.

Truck in question is a Toyota Tundra double cab with 6.5' bed. I am now considering a cap (some local nudging in that direction). That would require a setup like YC's. Got to look at some of those door clamp rack bases in action yesterday (with bikes on rack). They seem to work, but I think I'd be inclined to check for loosening every time I get in or out.

Well, I am no closer to making a decision, but at least I have a better awareness of my options.

I am now considering a cap (some local nudging in that direction). That would require a setup like YC's. Got to look at some of those door clamp rack bases in action yesterday (with bikes on rack). They seem to work, but I think I'd be inclined to check for loosening every time I get in or out.

As long as they were properly installed, at the proscribed distances for the door clamp, that style towers are fine. With the Yakimas on my son’s sedan, and even the four Q&E towers on the van, I marked where the towers attach with a paint pen. That location along the door frame (or rain gutters) is a critical fit component, and if you take them off they need to go back in the right place every time.

Most Yakima and Thule rack components adjust with an allen wrench. Keep one in the glove box or console; if the wrench is handy it is easy enough to check/tighten the fittings at will. Not so much if it is at home.

I have thought about adding a single set of door frame towers and a (shorter) crossbar to the cab roof, mostly for tied down windage restraint on the bows while crossing the plains, but also because I could haul a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] canoe set forward up the middle on shuttles. The two-canoe overhang past the rear bumper might necessitate that cab roof crossbar when towing a trailer, but even then you would have 2 racks on the cap and one on the cab. Three crossbars; think belt, suspenders and elastic waistband.

Hauling a single canoe, centered on the cap racks, would present less of a jackknifed-the-stern-into-the-trailer issue. Our DIY canoe trailer racked the long tandems up the center and the short boats outboard, where they were not in the way of turning radius. You would have to do a serious jackknife for a single centered canoe to interfere with a trailer.

“Local” nudging towards a cap, eh?

I will add some distant nudging towards a cap. All the world is a compromise, and I am willing to forgo the occasional advantage of an open bed for the luxury of a closed cap. You mentioned that your commuting to work days may soon be coming to an end. Think more then, and after, than now.

For the couple of times a year I wished I had an open bed I wouldn’t trade a cap outfitted tripping truck. If you enjoy outfitting canoes you’ll love customizing a capped bed for your traveling purposes. Even when towing the Missus portable palace a cap provides a lot of dry, secure and organized storage space. Drop the palace and drive off to paddle with all of the gear already packed in the bed.

And if you are gallivanting off on your own, sans the travel trailer. . . . .

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...ns/diy/20175-​more-work-on-the-tripping-truck

As far as bow clearance over the long double cab roof, a mid-rise cap (about 4” above the cab, + another couple inches for the crossbars and towers) will probably provide enough bow clearance.

A taller hi-rise cap would undoubtedly provide enough height, even for severely recurved stems, as well gobs of storage/headroom under the cap. A mid-rise cap provides 20% more storage space, and a hi-rise another 20% or so. That’s a big waterproof cube waiting to be outfitted and filled.

That clearance height needed is easy enough to mock up and measure for the canoes you intend to tote. Depending on the height and front profile of the travel trailer a hi-rise might actually be more aerodynamic.

Having the crossbars attached only to the bed rails does eliminate any cab-to-bed twist (which I doubt is really an issue in “normal” driving conditions), but, more importantly, it means that the 78 inch bars are not positioned right outside the cab doors to clonk your head when you get out.

Or when the missus gets out, if you catch my married man drift. If she smacks her head on that crossbar getting out she’s gonna be glaring at you. With two racks on the cap the width of the cab roof crossbar does not need to be head clonking out past the doors wide.

Leer caps can be ordered with a variety of Thule racks. I am partial to the Thule Tracker II system with lockable 78 inch bars. Those racks go on or off in literally seconds, leaving nothing on the cab roof but four small SS posts protruding from the cap tracks.

And yeah, I take those crossbars off and put them in the bed before I launch. I frequent some east coast megalopolis launches of questionable security, and I don’t need to advertise that I’m away on a trip. Or, in less paranoid consideration, I don’t need to leave the racks in place to be salt sprayed or possibly crossbar clipped by a passing vehicle. Just take ‘em off and put them in the bed under the cap. No worries.

Racks that are easy to install and remove are high on my design feature criteria. A.R.E may have something similarly to the Tracker II’s in a Yakima product.

BTW, Leer has discount “coupons” for various options and such (A.R.E may as well):

http://www.leer.com/special-offers

I opted for a cap model that came with rails for the Thule racks incorporated (I already had Thule stuff to repurpose) and used the discount for a free headliner. That raw glass cap material on the inside is tough on the knuckles when strapping down gear in the bed or stretching in the morning.

If you already have Yakima accessories, cross bars or gunwale stops or cradles, go with an A.R.E. cap.

How’s that for a cap nudge?

Truck in question is a Toyota Tundra double cab with 6.5' bed.

I am a wee bit jealous, that is a helluva nice truck. I trust you will keep us informed as you make your decisions. Informed and documented.

Steve, listen to that local nudging. Get a cap.

Encountered this rack set up at Great Basin NP, and I scratched my head for a long time wondering why the double-decker arrangement.
Rack-Stack-Trailer.JPG.jpg
Since you pull a trailer, you probably would know immediately. With the boats perfectly centered, he doesn't jack-knife them. Side by side, he'd crunch 'em.

That rack is galvanized steel tubing such as used for utility shelfing, and underneath it all, it u-bolts to round yakima bars/towers.

I never figured out why he drives around with the rudder deployed.

Oh, and if you succumb to all the nudging, the cap can be removed and reinstalled in about 20 minutes. But, mine is pretty heavy, and for the Tundra would be heavier. It's only four bolts and an electrical connector block, but the main challenge is moving it and storing the cap somewhere. I hang mine in the garage when it is not on the truck from two 2:1 pulley lines. I need to figure out a better way to get the truck exactly under it for the reinstall. Guess I should mark the tires on the floor or something. Or, you could just pimp it out for camping, in which case you'll never use it as a truck again, and you won't need to worry about taking the cap off.

Mike - you make a strong case for the cap. Besides the money, my biggest problem with it is...

Chip said:
...but the main challenge is moving it and storing the cap somewhere.

If I go with the cap, it has to mean I want it on there always. I don't even have room to store another canoe under cover. Good info about the mid-rise cap. I was considering today whether I should want a mid-rise or a high-rise. The Leer mid-rise allows a wider spread between the bars.

I wasn't prepared to make these decisions already. I thought this would all happen after I retired. You know how it is - when opportunity knocks....

Back