• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Photos of Animals, Fish, Birds & Bugs on a Canoe Trip

Mason,
How do you prepare that fish on trip? I'm heading North in a few weeks - hoping to catch lots of Dolly Varden and one of my dinners will be fish tacos. Normally I deep fry the fish for fish tacos, but wondering if putting fish crisp on a Dolly would be a sin?

rabb

Mason,
How do you prepare that fish on trip? I'm heading North in a few weeks - hoping to catch lots of Dolly Varden and one of my dinners will be fish tacos. Normally I deep fry the fish for fish tacos, but wondering if putting fish crisp on a Dolly would be a sin?

rabb
In aluminum foil on a fire. I was neither the angler nor the cook, just the diner.

There is a certain river in Oregon we call the "Wildlife Safari." Twenty bald eagles a day, osprey, kingfishers. Bighorn sheep and herds of elk swimming across the river below camp. When I take a nap I wake up staring at mule deer fawns. Beaver, muskrat, otters and mink swimming under the boat. Alas I have no photos. They are all in my mind's eye.

There is a certain river in Oregon we call the "Wildlife Safari." Twenty bald eagles a day, osprey, kingfishers. Bighorn sheep and herds of elk swimming across the river below camp. When I take a nap I wake up staring at mule deer fawns. Beaver, muskrat, otters and mink swimming under the boat. Alas I have no photos. They are all in my mind's eye.
Sounds like the Umpquah.

Sounds like the Umpquah.
Umpua River. Nope. I have run it in a raft and a drift boat.

White pelicans are very common in Nevada. They breed at Pyramid Lake the outlet for Lake Tahoe.
Has anyone ever seen a Pelican Helix?. They find thermal updrafts and ride them in a spiral to gain altitude. Sometimes there can be 100 in a flock gliding in a tight spiral. Their white feathers flash bright in the sun.
Like a Stairway to Heaven. .

Last edited:
Has anyone ever seen a Pelican Helix?. They find thermal updrafts and ride them in a spiral to gain altitude. Sometimes there can be 100 in a flock gliding in a tight spiral.

For anyone interested in collective noun bird-word trivia, which could be a whole thread in itself:

"The most common collective nouns for a group of pelicans are a squadron, pod, pouch or scoop of pelicans. Squadron perhaps refers to how pelicans fly in line formations, whereas pouch or scoop refers to their large bills with underslung pouches designed for scooping up fish and other food."

Back