• Happy National Scotch [Whisky] Day! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🥃🚱

Photo of the day

mwaalen, You have captured my canoeist heaven. I now know my blessed verdant destination.

Thank you,

Dirigo

Rapidan Dam on the Blue Earth River near Mankato MN. One picture is mine from July 2022, at about 1,500 cfs, at the start of a nice day trip on the water. The second is from social media earlier this week on Monday, when the river had just begun eroding its new bed around a clogged up and overdue-for-service dam, at about 35,000 cfs. The house shown above the cut bank has since washed away and the abutment of the upstream bridge is now at risk.

The location of the canoes in the first is just out of the frame in the lower right hand corner of the second.

The weather has been strange here this year.

IMG_2117.jpg
IMG_7997.JPG

Last edited:
Rapidan Dam on the Blue Earth River near Mankato MN.

I've been keeping an eye on it all week. Pretty crazy stuff.

I've paddled it a handful of times but it's been a few years. It will be interesting to see how much has changed after the flood. Unlike most rivers around here this one mostly flows through steep bluffs on both sides of the river rather than an open landscape. I can't imagine how much force all that water has being hemmed in between the bluffs.

There's one large bounder in-particular in midstream that's a bit of a local landmark. Someone had climbed up it and planted an American flag. I wonder if it has been moved?

Alan

Back