• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Personal canoe evolution

I started sailing and canoeing some time between learning to walk and starting puberty. More recently (since the 1980s) I started borrowing canoes - something aluminum, a MRC Malecite, and a Blackhawk Nighthawk - and then in 2000 I bought my first canoe, a Wenonah Solo Plus. I'd spent two days in the Nighthawk several years before, but I wasn't confident enough to buy the MRC Independence that I test-paddled against the Solo Plus. Fast forward ... I'm going to sell my Indy because it's been displaced by a Blackhawk Ariel (or my trusty Wildfire) for river use and my currently-in-the-mold Hemlock Peregrine for tripping use.

I'm leaving out the (yawn) details of about 10 other boats, both solos and tandems. It's interesting to note, though, that after decades of gunkholing, racing and teaching in sailboats, I sold mine in 2004 when I realized I hadn't used it for over a year. My canoeing log tells why: 17 canoe trips in 2003, 19 in 2004. And this was before I started BoundaryWatersing.

Well, that's the short story.

Back