• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Passage Solo build

Reaction score
I am currently building my first dedicated solo. I have not really had the time to do weekly updates, so I will post a link to my flickr album for the build.
Do not hesitate to ask questions about the build if you are so inclined. I am mostly posting this for all of the picture junkies out there. I will update the album as the build progresses.
I weighed the hull before attaching the gunwales and it came in at 23#, I was hoping to keep weight under 40# but at this point I might be able to keep it under 35#.

Here are the specs
15' length
2"/1" rocker
29" max beam
17"/12"/15" sheer

3/16" strips
6oz full layer glass in and out
4oz football in and out
Staples...
stemless
3/8"x3/4" walnut gunwales in and out

the link which says "Flickr" is the one connected to the album

Last edited:
Hi Sven

Looks like I have to sign up to Flickr to view.

But your description looks great !

Wondering if you bead and coved the 3/16" strips ?

Jim

Hey Jim,

I did bead and cove. started with cove up this time and ended up switching back right before the bilge.

I adjusted the privacy settings on my album on flickr, give it another try and let me know if its working. I logged out of flickr and it seemed to work for me. what appears to be one link at the end of my post is actually 2. The word "Flickr" is the link to the album.

40308558361_acc76c19dc_c.jpg40308558531_788e32f362_c.jpg40244915885_abe865e9bd_c.jpg40244915885_abe865e9bd_c.jpg39331211080_8c62e212f8_c.jpg27266813768_33a507cfc5_c.jpg39403314830_e50a41952d_c.jpg27349600768_92765c9e1d_c.jpg41179093082_4dc043b7ba_c.jpg
Here are a few for those who can't seem to access the flickr album

Attachments

• 39403314830_e50a41952d_c.jpg
    39403314830_e50a41952d_c.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1
SWEET !!!

Love the looks !

We need to set up a, On the Water meeting !

I'd love to paddle when you get her done !

Jim

I just realized the photos link is the upper one...
Nice photos and really nice work! After seeing all the photos, I have too many questions, I hope you don't mind.

Did you really glass the inside 1st? I don't see any photos of glassing the outside.
The weight that the hull is now, does that include the outside glassed?
What is with those radiused sanding blocks? Did you sand by hand? It looks to be very fair.
Are you planning to leave the stems open? Any built in flotation planned?

Lastly, is that a kneeling hull? It looks a lively hull.
Once you paddle a dedicated solo, it's hard to go back to paddling a tandem...

Mason,
Thanks for the compliment

Doug,
The darker wood is not stained as you mentioned, that wood is an all natural combination of WRC and salvaged redwood siding from my old house. You know what they say about clamps....you can never have enough! I think i had about 75 spring clamps on it when I glued the gunwales on. Thanks for the compliment as well!

deerfly,
Thanks for the kind words

Jim,
Thank you as well, I agree about the on the water meeting, that would be awesome. I would love to talk canoe with a like minded individual. Are you planning to attend the annual event at Midwest Mtn. this year for the auction? I was thinking I would try to attend this year if the boss will let me....I
Im hoping to have this one done before our family trip in mid May.

Denise,
Thanks, I did not glass the inside first. I guess I didnt take any pictures of that part of the build...OOPS!

SG,
Thank you as well.
No worries about the questions.
weight: That weight is fully glassed with no fill coat on the inside
sanding blocks: I made those blocks they are basically just a wooden block with exercise flooring(minicel) glued to them, then shaped on a oscillating belt sander, and capped with sandpaper of various grits. I made a few of them, one flat and one convex for each grit. My rough sanding was done with 5" RO and 60 grit, then I finish sanded with the blocks up to 120 grit before glassing.
Stems: I will not be leaving the stems open, I have panels made to enclose the stems from the tip to the first stations, all the way to the sheer. makes for more float than I probably need, but thats how I did the last ones and I like the look and also the strength it seems to add once they are glassed into place.
Kneeling hull. I had planned to put a seat in, (cleat mounted) about 5-6" off the bottom, but I have contemplated other options as well...maybe a pedestal like some of you other builders have done.

Last edited:
Mason,
Thanks for the compliment

Doug,
The darker wood is not stained as you mentioned, that wood is an all natural combination of WRC and salvaged redwood siding from my old house. You know what they say about clamps....you can never have enough! I think i had about 75 spring clamps on it when I glued the gunwales on. Thanks for the compliment as well!

deerfly,
Thanks for the kind words

Jim,
Thank you as well, I agree about the on the water meeting, that would be awesome. I would love to talk canoe with a like minded individual. Are you planning to attend the annual event at Midwest Mtn. this year for the auction? I was thinking I would try to attend this year if the boss will let me....I

Denise,
Thanks, I did not glass the inside first. I guess I didnt take any pictures of that part of the build...OOPS!

SG,
Thank you as well.
No worries about the questions.
weight: That weight is fully glassed with no fill coat on the inside
sanding blocks: I made those blocks they are basically just a wooden block with exercise flooring(minicel) glued to them, then shaped on a oscillating belt sander, and capped with sandpaper of various grits. I made a few of them, one flat and one convex for each grit. My rough sanding was done with 5" RO and 60 grit, then I finish sanded with the blocks up to 120 grit before glassing.
Stems: I will not be leaving the stems open, I have panels made to enclose the stems from the tip to the first stations, all the way to the sheer. makes for more float than I probably need, but thats how I did the last ones and I like the look and also the strength it seems to add once they are glassed into place.
Kneeling hull. I had planned to put a seat in, (cleat mounted) about 5-6" off the bottom, but I have contemplated other options as well...maybe a pedestal like some of you other builders have done.
It's always a mildly surprising when people build or get solo boats they are usually 14 - 15' 29 -32" in beam. Although I paddled of my 16-foot prospector for many many years

my 1st was Gil gilpatrick's Puddleduck stripper 14'6" and my last, my own design 15'2" x 30" beam w/c

f614212ef99091dab1eda11bab754577.jpg
d152e851a8bbd90b8d5f145daeefd131.jpg
485a13bfe8e3db45b0e34d32dce9f245.jpg

Jim,

I've been talking with the Wife. I always take her along, so she can hang out with an old girl friend ! I'd like to come up Thursday, and paddle the Demo at Lake Nokomis. That would mean two nights at a Motel. My concern if I take up a canoe, where to store it overnight ?

I also want to check with Alan to see if he is going up ?

We could at least meet at the Auction Saturday ! That would be fun !!!

Jim

Sven !
After accessing your photos, I see a lot more, and I also have more questions !

First off anyone willing to put the Lawn mower on an Overhead shelf, so he has room to build a canoe, is My kinda Builder !!!

I've pondered switching from Cove up to Cove down in the middle of a build, as you did ! How did you like it ?

Those bead and coved strips look great ! I like your planing jig too ! I'll have to try one !

What did you use to fill the staple holes ?

Nice job of glassing the inside of the stems ! Many Minnesota builders adhered to the technique of pouring thickened epoxy into the stems ! Works great, and makes it, in my mind stronger than building with inner stems.

Spring clamps ! What amazes me these days, I can buy 2" spring clamps for $1, when I used to pay $1 for the 1" spring clamps !. I pic up a few, every time I go to Menard's or Home Depot.

Again nice work Sven !

Jim

If there was ever a clamp audit, I think I'd be kicked off of this board. I am severely underclamped. I'm not even going to admit how few I have.

We All started out Clamp Poor !
Even Norm Abrahms didn't start with all the clamps he has now !

Jim,
I got the okay from the boss to attend the auction...as long as I don't bring home a canoe. If you need somme overnight storage for a canoe I would be willing to let you keep it at my place, the only disclaimer is that it might be a bit out of your way. I'm located about 35 minutes west of Midwest Mtn. I'm not sure the ice will be off the lakes around here in the next 3 weeks, but maybe it will.

The lawn mower....that was a chore to get up there by myself.

The switch from cove up to cove down worked out nicely, I feel like it makes more sense to have cove down once the strips start to go towards the horizontal plane. just my two cents. My first build was cove down, but I also started strips from the sheer, which I did not do this time, Cove up made the partial fill in strips at the stems easier to install.

That scarf jig for the bench plane works great, perfect joint every time!

The staple holes...I got most of them to close up by ironing them after a spray of water. Any holes that didnt closse up, I used plastic wood filler, custom colored using 3 different shades of that product.

Thanks for noticing my stems! The wife even commented on how much better they look than the last ones, which were pretty fugly! I used the zip loc technique to apply the thickened epoxy, waited for it to firm up then applied some plain epoxy with a brush and laid in a 4" wide bias strip. I think it took me longer to prep the stems (glue in corners) than it did to reinforce them.

Oh the clamps.....those HDX clamps from the depot are a great deal at 99 cents. A fellow carpenter informed me recently that Harbor Freight had some cheap F style clamps 3$ for a 6" and 4$ for a 12"......I bought a dozen of each. The best part is they have a lifetime warranty. The cashier said if it breaks you just bring it back and they give you a new one.....can't beat that!

40597166394_8e3e7a972e_c.jpg

Thanks for the Canoe storage offer ! I'm still undecided about bringing one up !

Definitely plan to be at the Auction !

Bought a bunch of F-clamps cheap several years ago. They have wood handles, and they are falling apart ! Wish They had a warranty ! I can always glue them together again !

Looking forward to meeting you !

Jim

Back