• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Paddling to the Sounds of Silence

Tripping can be silent. On this morning after the mist gradually lifted, we took full advantage of the glassy conditions to whisper and wonder at the calm beginning of this day. She did drip her paddle, we both did, but that didn't crack the solitude. Silence can be bliss while on the move.

smooth-paddling-jpg.74828

Simon & Garfunkel song was about going blind.
I had no idea.

Simon & Garfunkel song was about going blind.

Sandy Greenberg may have been some sort of general inspiration for Art Garfunkel, who was at Columbia when I was there, but blindness isn't what the lyrics are about. They are about the alienation of people from each other and their inability to communicate, as stated by Paul Simon at the beginning of the following video and in the following article:

Blind Sandy Greenberg went on to get an MBA from Columbia, an MA and PhD from Harvard, and to do further studies at Harvard Law School and Oxford as a Marshall Scholar, ultimately becoming a very successful and wealthy man.

To implement the silent stroke, sometimes called the Indian stroke, you palm roll the paddle before or during the in-water recovery so what was the back face of the just completed stroke becomes the power face at the catch of the next stroke. The palm roll is usually done right after the J correction is complete and before the in-water return, but it can also be done during the in-water return just before the catch of the next stroke.

Marc Ornstein writes about in-water recoveries (returns) here:

And here is a video of Ray Goodwin demonstrating the palm roll:

I've snuck up on a lot of wildlife paddling silently. Most times I see the subject first, then switch to silent mode. Other times I've gotten close to game that I had no idea was there, just because I was doing the Indian stroke.

I've snuck up on a lot of wildlife paddling silently. Most times I see the subject first, then switch to silent mode. Other times I've gotten close to game that I had no idea was there, just because I was doing the Indian stroke.
I came upon mama bear and three cubs playing. Jumping off a log and swimming just cause they could. I hadnt planned on sneaking up but solo quiet is a blessing mai watched for five minutes
Aaaand along comes a Scout troop with kids banging paddles on Grummans completely unaware that they could see something they would always remember.
They didn't .
Mama led her three cubs into the woods before the noise appeared as objects

For sneaking up on wildlife use a narrower paddle. Keep your paddle in the water. Scull. With practice it is easy to be silent.

I like the Indian stroke, I do the steering on the recovery. While on the subject of sneaking up on wild life... Since I have started paddling carbon weave boats I noticed I sneak up on large fish and scar them, sometime the even broach the water running away. My previous boats were red and sand color, never had that issue during the day with those.

I was out this morning with the dog in the boat. It was shortly after dawn and the pond was dead quiet and still, save for the birds. I was looking for wildlife and working my underwater returns to effect silent paddling, but found that the sleeve of my water-repellent breathable jacket (generic gortex) was rustling against my pfd. It's probably not enough to disturb wildlife unless at very close range, but I got to wondering what materials might be quieter and still good for shoulder seasons. Fleece and wool crossed my mind.

I don't own a wet or dry suit and am very cognizant of dressing for immersion this time of year, which for me involves water repellent layers to reduce initial cold shock (along with staying close to shore on quiet ponds and carrying a full clothing change with excessively warm layers in a dry bag). I'm not sure fleece or wool would do as much as the goretex. Am I missing an option? I imagine all pdfs are made of the same type of synthetic fabric, so it has to be the outer layer that changes.

Back