• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Paddling Incentive for a 3 year old

Reaction score
My little one freaked out in the canoe over the summer and said he's now scared to go on the water. As a way of hopefully getting him back in the boat, I re-carved a damaged paddle into a tiny user for him. The shaft of the original paddle warped heavily after a decoration experiment with a blow torch...
DSCN0211_rs.jpg

There was no way to completely eliminate the severe warping, but the paddle was reshaped into a functional design for an unwary three year old. As inspiration, I aimed to replicate the shape of a circa 1891 ceremonial paddle documented in the following Smithsonian photo.

si05308.jpg

Iroquois Tribe: Portrait of Viroqua's Oldest Brother, Jesse Martin, and his Great Niece
CULTURE: Iroquois Mohawk
DATE: prior to 1891
Photo Lot 24 SPC Ne Iroquois Mohawk NM 24145 00782400
National Anthropological Archives, Smithsonian Institution
LOCAL NUMBER: NAA INV 00782400 | OPPS NEG SI 5308

The dual tone motif has also been seen in other historic photos featuring Iroquois paddlers, like in the 18th century work of military artist, James Peachey.
Peachey%2B-%2BCataraqui%2Bcanoes%2Bcloseup1.jpg

Iroquois Decorated Paddles
Closeup of Southeast view of Cataraqui (Kingston) on Lake Ontario
James Peachey
August 1785
Library and Archives Canada
accession number 1989-221-5

First, the 58" full-sized paddle was cut down into a miniature-sized 38". The blade was reshaped into a smaller beavertail design and the shaft re-cut and shaved down to a thinner 3/4" diameter to fit my son's tiny hands. Like the ceremonial paddle, it has a simple pole style grip which will work for him since he knows nothing of correction strokes just yet.

Ceremonial%2BDual%2BTone%2BPaddle4.jpg

Of course this paddle wasn't really meant for me and my historical obsession. So as a treat for my little guy, I did my best to paint his current hero (Spiderman) on the other side of the blade.

Ceremonial%2BDual%2BTone%2BPaddle3.jpg

Hopefully it'll do the job to get him back in the canoe and we'll have pics of it in use early next season.

HA that look so great Murat. As for getting him back into the boat, that should do it with some of the things that he really enjoy, be food ro games or a friend.... Keep it short and sweet and in no time he will be paddling along side his older brother...

I think that personalized paddle will be all you need to get him back in the boat. If not, I let them bring whatever they want. I had to draw the line when my 4 year old wanted to bring her hamster though. I have been carving paddles for the kids using 1x6 cedar, it's quick and easy.

Attachments

• photo8553.jpg
    photo8553.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 0
Your young one's new paddle should make their Spidey senses tingle for a trip. Nice idea Murat. How long before all the kids in the 'hood want one too?

Great idea. I've only been involved in paddling with a couple young kids in the 3-4 year old range. Thankfully they were all willing participants. There were always two adults in the canoe so they could sit next to one to, A: keep them out of trouble and, B: make them feel more comfortable.

One trip was a short down river run with 2 other canoes so "racing" kept him very interested.

Another was a short paddle out to an island to look for lost pirate treasure.

Alan

Great looking paddle. Based on past experiences with my nephew, super heroes have a way of influencing positive behavior. All it took for him to be trained to use the toilet was to be given his first pair of Superman Underoos. My sister said if he used the toilet, he'd get the Underoos. That's all it took. My guess is Spiderman will turn the trick for you as well.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

On my first trip to Muskrat Lake, Cobden, Ontario in 1955, I was a 7 year old and scared of the water. My mother would tie the old row boat to the dock with a 10' rope and I fished with a bambo pole and bacon for bait in 3' of water. All those hours in that row boat catching perch and sunnies cured me of my fear of the water. Good memories.

Very cool.

My sons first real paddles were kid sized Featherbrands that we reshaped, sanded and etc. Somewhere I have photo of them side by side helping sand those winky sticks. Each paddle got their name, I believe in Comic Sans font, and some hand painted design.

They grow up so fast, and those paddles were soon replaced. A year ago when we went through the paddle racks to see what we no longer used and should give away those two sticks, untouched in 20 years, suddenly became heirlooms.

As I hope will Spidey.

Wow, what a cool post. I have enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures. My post is a little different. My daughter came home form college last Wednesday night. She is graduating a semester early and will soon be a nurse. We put away a nice bottle of whiskey that night as she told me she earned straight A's on her exams - it was great celebrating with her! Tomorrow, I will travel to the University of La Crosse to watch my son walk across the stage with a degree in Recreational Therapy. I ahve been remembering special moments with my children this week spanning the last - almost 25 years. I am not trying to high jack this post - I just loved the pictures, they reminded me of some pretty awesome moments with my own children.

Bob.

Very cool and great motivation for the little ones!
My own kids have been in a canoe since they were less than a year old. Both started paddling around age 3, on their own from age 5 with an adult pairing, and by age 7 they were paddling with cousins entirely on their own. Now it's time for the grandkids to develop their skills, granddaughter has already specified "her" canoe needs!
Here's my daughter and her cousin on their own, ages 7 (her) and 9 (him). They still paddle together on occasion.

View attachment CvljCYbjmRZfgcLEIZtJDxV1bGM3IdYgFt5waw8ubL17Osb_niXnfrrHFPsMTAVvf5x8TpZrbZQfElYgN3GAt9yMRmhUAZifI_GB

Back