• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Paddling in the Pool

Reaction score
Not a swimming pool. The pool behind the Birch Hill Dam on the Millers River in MA.

I don’t usually paddle during the week, but I knew that I couldn’t paddle this past weekend due to family obligations. When I saw a trip posted for Thursday on a flatwater section of the Millers River, I decided to take a vacation day and join in. We had four boats – a 16’ Prospector, a 15’ Prospector and MR Independence and a Yellowstone Solo.

We would be paddling/poling the 7-mile section of the Millers River behind the Birch Hill Dam from Winchendon, MA to Royalston, MA. With all the rain we have had in the past few weeks, the pool behind the dam was about 14’. The river started off normal enough with a nice current as we padded/poled though pretty pine forests and swampland.

About 3-miles downstream we started to see the impact of the impound of the Birch Hill Dam. The river rose over its banks and started flowing through the trees. Before long, the river completely disappeared and we were paddling through a large shallow lake filled with trees. You couldn’t always tell which way the river flowed.

When we finally made it down to the dam we found out why the gate to the access road was closed – the canoe launch and much of the access road were flooded. We paddled up the road as far as we could, and then we put our boats on carts for the portage back to our cars.

I could get used to this weekday paddling!

Few pictures here:

Your pics look great. I especially liked the pictures of the poling. I am starting to learn this, but when traveling with a dog the difficulty level increases. I used to love to paddle the flooded timber in the spring on the Wisconsin River … we do not get flooded anymore … perpetual low water conditions.

Glad you got out to paddle. Nice post.👍🛶

I regret not being able to join you all on this one! Usually I can take a day off on short notice, but not this time. It looked like a fun trip!

Yeah, nice pictures! Thanks for sharing. Inspiring me to get out - except winter returned today with flurries. Brrrrrrr!

Wow...we had snow flying in the air today so you had a great day to paddle compared to what you would have found around here. Nice to see folks out and able to enjoy the weather. Although spring officially begins tomorrow, it will be winter-like for the rest of the week in central NYS.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

It is cooling off here as well. It was 60 degrees and sunny last week. Will be down to to the 30's and 40's this week - we may even get some snow on Friday. Still not bad, but those warm temperatures get you thinking about spring.

Terrific pictures, Erik. Your contributions here have been very informative, illustrative and entertaining.

Ohh... some pretty water. That's pretty much the exact opposite of my current local conditions. We're dryer than I've ever seen this early. Of course, we got major T-storms and 2+ inches of rain tonight, so making up for it a bit.

I'm somewhat familiar with the same conditions as @Bob B. and I miss paddling through a woodland.

Back