• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Packing Style

To all you nay-sayers...this is the year the moose comes home with me. My wife is writing her hunters Ed exam tonight, they don't stand a chance, lol.

So is it going to paddle its own canoe? Throwing a moose in there is going to take some figuring (but I have faith in you!). To quote a line from Jaws: "I think we need a bigger boat".

I've hunted caribou with a Wenonah C1W solo--worked out really well, but they're lots smaller!

To all you nay-sayers...this is the year the moose comes home with me. My wife is writing her hunters Ed exam tonight, they don't stand a chance, lol.

I think this is a great idea for another for your Facebook contests. Guess the date (and year) that Rob finally brings home a moose. Winner gets fried moose steak.

Alan

So is it going to paddle its own canoe?

He'll lash it alongside and fend off the pike with his paddle, just like Santiago. By the time they get back home there will be nothing left but the antlers. Disgusted, Rob will throw them in the river and go home to have another heart attack. In the morning a tourist will see them at the edge of the water and ask a nearby native about them. He'll simply say, "Jackfish," thinking they wanted to know how they came to be there rather than what they actually were. To which the tourist responds, "Don't you mean northern pike?"

Alan

Last edited:
Gosh, I think I will start a facebook contest for best tall tale, lol, you will stand a good chance Alan. You guys forget I built that big 20 foot freighter, it will carry a couple of moose plus all the gear. No portaging though, ha ha.

The morning mist burned off just enough to lift a curtain of hope, the watery brume giving way to a pink orange sky lurking behind a veil of black spruce. Even the eye watering smoke from the breakfast fire doubted the days progress; would it be worth breaking camp to trudge through brush and bog to find that elusive moose? Perhaps it might be as well to collect dry tinder and just stay in camp? One more year of hunting disappointment. Memequay pondered all this aloud when "sa blonde" spoke up "No way! We are going to get our tag today! This is my first time and I am NOT going home without a moose tabernac!" Blondie had spoken and so it was.
With plenty to spare the 20 footer canoe took the full load of tent, hunters and gear. Pushing off from shore the paddles dripped sweet northern water back to its source, completing the cycle of life, from November freeze-ups to January snows, and from the April runoffs thru September low waters; the memory of sundogs last winter whispered across their bow in early autumn spray.
The gurgling wake did not betray their approach as from around the next sand bar Blondie caught sight of an immense dark shadow hovering above the shallows next the shore. She froze as did Memequay in the stern. A huge head slowly lifted from the late summer lily pads adorned with a spread of antlers the like they'd never seen before. Memequay carefully unzipped the camo bag to ease the rifle from it's place. The emerging sun glinted off the water and time stood still. Rivulets of water streamed down the great l 'orignal's flanks as he quietly stepped out onto the bank undisturbed. The two hunters held their breathe and made their peace. Blondie slowly raised her gun and calmly took aim...three hearts beat in sync under a morning sky...and her paddle laid across the bow tipped drops of water back into it's source, to continue the journey.

Last edited:
That's what I love about canoe camping (over backpacking). You can take so much gear with you for fun and comfort. As far as clothing goes, in addition to the synthetics I have, sometimes I like to "go wool" in early spring and fall. I have a Johnson Mills wool jacket and shirt, a Fjallraven wool shirt and a 20+ year old EMS wool sweater. The wool does really well on misty days in the Adirondacks, both in camp and on the water.

Leaving on the first of October with daughter and wife for 4 days( that is all we got this year...) but it took less than that the last 2 years !!! 2 canoes, wall tent and stove, wanigan and fire box... good warm wool and my trusty Ruger #1 in 30-06....

She passed, going to get the tag tomorrow, gun shopping on line for her tonight, looking for a .308

Give her our congrats. A trip into the backcountry will be it's own reward, though some game in the freezer would be a good result.

Back