• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Outside canoe rack

Reaction score
I needed a rack of some kind to store canoes and other boat shaped objects that didn’t mind being outside. The wood and canvas ones are inside. Setting a post in the ground is near impossible here in Maine. I swear there are more rocks than dirt. This was inspired by one very similar for sale on Craigslist that I though was perfect, almost, I did change things a little bit. I like it. I tacked some rubber roofing membrane to the tops of the arms so things don’t slide too easily. The center posts still have some height so if I need to I could put in another set of arms.

0B6B45C6-14A7-4BD4-9681-2A8CF1E93ADF.jpeg

F3AB42C4-C56D-45C3-B0A4-E93B5C6803C9.jpeg

8C61C08D-6142-422A-A55A-8FC4A1D6659E.jpeg

Jim

Thanks Jim- I have been pondering a new rack with a roof for the growing fleet and this has some nice ideas in it.

Bob

Yeah I was thinking about a roof also but this will have to do for now. Eventually I will probably move it out from under the trees, but for now at least the boats are not just on the ground.
Jim

Nice looking rack. It looks like it could hold another crossbar if you fleet continues to grow. I am "temporarily" beyond my rack capacity and will have to increase my rack space or sell another boat.

Yes the uprights are still tall enough to put in another level if I need it.
The tops of the arms are wrapped with rubber roofing membrane, it’s quite thick thick and should hold up for a long time.
It is not tied down just yet but it is very protected from most wind directions. I do have two screw in anchors that will be in place before fall and winter storms head our way.
Jim

Back