• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Old cookset worth using?

Reaction score
I picked up this old nestable cook set over the winter thinking it may come in handy and it was dirt cheap.

IMG_0319

Appears to be old aluminum construction, similar to 1960's military cookware if that helps. My concern is it's old and aluminum... is it safe to use or should I bother?

I personally dont like to use aluminum pots. But that is mostly due to the way they cook. Gram counters love them because they are light and they dont seem to have any problems. I'd say use them if you want.

Here's a link : http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/drugs-...sinier-eng.php
Your pot set appears in good shape. We cook with our aluminum pots for fewer than 2 weeks a year, sometimes less. I don't expect a great deal of aluminum leaching into our food, but I'm not a metallurgist, dietician, biochem scientist, so what do I know? They do scorch and blacken, but are easily cleaned. They're very lightweight, but can be easily dented. I was given a new set of anodized aluminum pots. I won't discard the old ones just yet. I love the bail handles on those pots.

Last edited:
I have my original BSA aluminum cook kit from 1961. I mostly use stainless steel now, but bring the little aluminum pot just for old time sake.

my billy's are aluminum, i have a few extra sets horded away for 'later' -- mostly i boil in them...i use a steel fry-pan when i use a fry-pan...

Back