• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Old But Still Beautiful Camera Stuff

Reaction score
Kathleen and I have started cleansing all of our shelves and closets and storage areas of stuff we will never use again. It is a monumental task. We try to spend at least one hour per day. One shelf contains pre-digital camera equipment, as follows:

Minolta X-9 camera body with a 28-70 mm Macro lens;
Minolta SRT 102 camera body with 50 mm lens;
Tamron 200 mm lens;
Minolta 28 mm lens;
Tamron 72 mm polarizing filter;
Hoya 55 mm polarizing filter;
Kenko 55 mm skylight filter;
Kenko set of three 55 mm progressive closeup lenses; and
Vivitar 550 FD flash.

I can’t bear to just chuck them in the trash. Hoping to find a good, loving home for them. :)

My 4x5 Crown Graphic (w/ 135mm Rodenstock and 210mm Schneider lenses) will probably be buried with me. In 35mm, I shot Pentax, and have an MX, 2-LXs w/ motor drives, PZ1-P, and lenses 20mm to 600mm (stolen). And then I have my great aunt's Leica IIF....

Asia is where they pay the big bucks for vintage film equipment, Japan, China, Singapore etc.

All my old Canon Film stuff is in the same boat. Tried to sell it but nobody really interested. Canon 100-300 zoom I was offered $5. I took a pass.

I used to work for a guy who had a bit of old camera equipment. A nice camera, some lenses, etc, all in an aluminum case. He tried selling them to his friends and people around the shop but had no takers. Many told him there were probably no takers. He finally put it on Craig's List and begrudging accepted an offer of $50.00, but pointed out that everyone was wrong and it sold after all. When the guy came over to pick it up he said he could keep the camera stuff - he was really just after the case. Got a kick out of that.

The depreciation of camera equipment has always been depressing to experience; that is until you walk into a retail to buy used. I could barely stand to sell my SLR outfit and dark room equipment to friends and family, there was no way I was willing to pass it on to a retailer where they'd toss me peanuts and resell for black truffles. Ah well.
Once upon a time I imagined moving on up through Nikon to Leica and Hasselblad collecting as I went. Nice dream. Financial constraints and family life soon put a stop to that. Ha. (All those high end pro cameras would've been wasted on me.)
If I had some well loved gear today I wouldn't let it go for a song, but would consider contacting photog art students who may be on the hunt for affordable old school gear. Those peeps do exist. I know. My daughter was one.

Last edited:
Back