• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Not the photo of the day

G

Back from a four day trip with 10 dear old friends, and a few new friends well met.

Here are all my photos from the trip:

I had a digital camera. I made sure it was charged and had room on the card before I left. I did not take a single photograph.

Not for the first time. Some trips I go crazy and take hundreds of photographs. And then, for unknown reasons, once in a while, I go on a trip where I never once think to touch the camera.

All I have is memories. Great ones though, many of which could not have been captured as an image.

Am I the only one who occasionally neglects the camera for an entire trip?

Not sure I've ever neglected it for an entire trip but I certainly take varying numbers of pictures on different trips. Some trips I am like a videographer and take hundreds, and other times I come back and only have a dozen or so, if that. But there always seems to be 4 or 5 at least.

For me it depends on the length, and kind of trip. On longer trips (three- five weeks in the far north), where we intend to prepare a "slide" show, Kathleen and I take many pictures. On shorter trips I often take no pictures. I already have lots of images of canoes, water, trees, rocks and Kathleen. Taking pictures then seems more like a responsibility than fun.

Over the years I've stopped taking photos the way I used to. I realized that sometimes I spent more time behind the camera then enjoying the trip. Now, when leading for work I'm sure to take a few so we can document the adventure for the powers-that-be but when out on my own trips, I tend to take far fewer photos unless I'm in a truly new environment. Even then, my days of multiple photos are pretty much behind me. Too bad to because I spent a lot of $$$ developing film over the years :( Now, with digital, my kids wouldn't give me such grief for taking 36 photos of just one moose (LOL)!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

One thing's for sure... photography ain't what it used to be. I forget how many millions of photos are taken every minute now that smart mobile devices are making it so much easier to bring back decent photos, and without putting a lot of effort into it. Toss a few more thousand pix into the digital pile.

That's liberating in one way and heavy, cumbersome things aren't necessary when compared to the lightweight point-and-shoot and cellphone cameras of today. And there are all sorts of promises being made by the industry for new gear and innovation to make photography evolve faster to wherever it's going to.

Take photos, don't take photos... maybe the best thing now is, there's no need to be taking heavy gear to wherever you need to be and spending time thinking about how to use it.

An other thing for sure is now a day with all the new tech, every body and there dogs are "pro" photographer... The same people that don't even have a clue of what is film, slides, light table, chemicals etc etc... The ability to take great photos today is way easier then it was 20 years ago and the images can be flaw less, almost synthetic, deprived of "life"! I think it is why there is a renaissance of real camera users using real film, especially within the B&W lovers!!

I never thought I'd be one who leaves the camera at home and just take the phone. That would be for day trips or when going to places I already have a lot of pictures of. On a trip I'd still bring a camera.

The thing I like about digital pics is that you can tell when and where they were taken when viewing them on the computer.

Photography used to be a passion for me but like all my passions it faded and I picked up something else. It was a good hobby to have though because I learned a lot and can still take a decent picture. In the end I got tired of lugging around all that gear and I regret the time I spent behind a viewfinder as opposed to actually enjoying where I was....but I guess at the time behind the viewfinder was where I wanted to be so it was ok.

Now I just carry a waterproof P&S that can fit in my pocket. I no longer worry about making art with my camera but do like it for a little documentation. I want the pictures of help carry the narrative of the trip and trigger memories. A few is usually all it takes.

Sometimes I seriously consider not bringing a camera at all. I think it's annoying how many photographs there are and how easy it is to find them online. It's nice to see something with your own eyes before you see a picture of it, especially if it requires work and skill to reach the location.

A year or so ago we were having a conversation on myccr.com about Kasmere Falls on the Thlewiaza River. You can hear the falls but not see them from the river unless you hike your way to them. It appears not many people have taken the trouble to do so and no one had a picture of them (I don't think anyone even had an eye witness account). I thought this was refreshing. I decided that if I do that route again I will take the time to get a look at the falls but I'll be danged if I take a picture of them. It's good to have a few mysteries left in the world.

Alan

A year or so ago we were having a conversation on myccr.com about Kasmere Falls on the Thlewiaza River. You can hear the falls but not see them from the river unless you hike your way to them. It appears not many people have taken the trouble to do so and no one had a picture of them (I don't think anyone even had an eye witness account). I thought this was refreshing. I decided that if I do that route again I will take the time to get a look at the falls but I'll be danged if I take a picture of them. It's good to have a few mysteries left in the world.

Alan

I have a couple of shots of Kasmere Falls from this summer. Let me know if you want me to post them, or whether you want to maintain the mystery.

I have a couple of shots of Kasmere Falls from this summer. Let me know if you want me to post them, or whether you want to maintain the mystery.

Well I guess you're free to do whatever you want with them but just give me a heads up before they're public so I can try not to see them. :)

Alan

I certainly wouldn't post them on this thread if you don't want to see them. I might post a photo gallery of the trip we did at some point. Not sure where, though. We paddled Wollaston Lake to Hudson Bay this summer, and one fellow might post a TR on myccr at some point. He didn't take a camera, though. There are still a lot of mysteries out there, though.

How difficult was it to access the falls and how much of them were you able to see? I was getting chased by storms both times I did the portage so wasn't in the mood for scouting.

Sounds like a great trip.

Alan

How difficult was it to access the falls and how much of them were you able to see? I was getting chased by storms both times I did the portage so wasn't in the mood for scouting.

Sounds like a great trip.

Alan

It wasn't bad getting to the main falls (on right). The trees are thick, so views are somewhat limited. We didn't go downstream of the main/first falls, as it was too thick. I'm not sure what was around the corner, but the main falls certainly support the decision to portage!

Back