• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Not Maine but nice plan B, ADK Low’s Lake

Reaction score
So after 4 months of planning that Hurricane was going towards Maine and last day or two it turned But I planned drive going that way just had me second guessing. Plan B, 330 miles away ADK.
arrived early in the lot and unloaded the car. Love canoeing with short simple portage. Fun stuff can be brought. Stayed for 5 days 4 nights. Base camped site 21. Hot and humid first two days. Forgot the sunscreen. No bugs but a mouse and chipmunk visited us daily.
paddled looking for wood one day with a trip to Grass Pond, other day we went around coves near us. We never crossed over to the other side. The air force planes were noisy in morning and afternoon. Never did see them. Saw 5-6 stand up paddle board campers paddling through. Wow. Lucky them not windy. Saw a motor boat a few late afternoons with a dog at the bow. Wondered if it was going to that private house? Guess that is in the Low’s family?
I made Bannock twice! Yea! My $3 bushcraft reflector oven worked. Second time a bit to much water added. Brought some food making believe I was up in Maine. Last day was relaxing doing some bushcrafting making tarp pegs and other stuff. Brought my Cromwell book and started reading The Fort. It my 6-7th book of his this year. I like his writing. Big thanks to YC for all of her advise and info on Maine CT. Hopefully I’ll get to go there next year or shortly after that.
best wishes to all, safe tripping. 08E1C8B1-CA3D-4AA2-A04E-BAB1F2E04B1B.jpeg

Attachments

• B3EE24C9-29DB-402E-96F4-D046BABD5777.jpeg
    B3EE24C9-29DB-402E-96F4-D046BABD5777.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 02DBBA2F-7986-4C5E-A6EC-71DB800939ED.jpeg
    02DBBA2F-7986-4C5E-A6EC-71DB800939ED.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 45
  • BD6CECBC-48E6-4A2E-90FF-B78A9D73E816.jpeg
    BD6CECBC-48E6-4A2E-90FF-B78A9D73E816.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 43
  • 60E10530-652A-4EF0-9D1C-01FE42A00462.jpeg
    60E10530-652A-4EF0-9D1C-01FE42A00462.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 43
  • 1D80E87C-19E7-4967-9795-E2F104C967A0.jpeg
    1D80E87C-19E7-4967-9795-E2F104C967A0.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 44
  • 06F4ACA2-2FD2-48EC-A73B-239BF27170C4.jpeg
    06F4ACA2-2FD2-48EC-A73B-239BF27170C4.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 85B806A8-9ACD-47A6-9348-C12EB4B58ECE.jpeg
    85B806A8-9ACD-47A6-9348-C12EB4B58ECE.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 42
  • F48BA7E0-B60B-4127-9B73-662046EC24D1.jpeg
    F48BA7E0-B60B-4127-9B73-662046EC24D1.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 43
  • CCCBD466-2D66-45D7-821A-D49CC99554D1.jpeg
    CCCBD466-2D66-45D7-821A-D49CC99554D1.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 41
Glad you liked Lows. I've paddled there at least once or twice a year for more than 35 years. The old ruins that you passed at the upper dam were part of the original Lows family residence and working industry. The cabin on the peninsula you saw, other than the Boy Scout Camp that you may or may not have noticed, are the only private lands on the whole lake. Motorboats are generally not allowed anywhere on the lake or the flow by the public with only a couple of exceptions. The Boy Scouts are allowed to use a motorboat that mostly they only use to go around to help clean garbage that garbage campers leave behind. The cabin owner is or was at one time the county sheriff, not related to the Low family, but there is a road connecting the peninsula and the cabin to the mainland that he maintains and uses for primary access. I believe he is allowed to use a motor boat for access, but in all my years there I have never seen its use. The DEC rangers sometimes patrol the lake via motorboat that they leave at the scout camp landing. That would be my guess, with a the dog.

Chocolate chip bannock! Yummy. Second one became mush and I tried flipping it to early. Yea. I’m impatient. But it’s not graded on looks but taste. Yummy. The motor boat was probably some ranger. He went west around 5:00 pm then back east around 6:30 pm. Or I have that backwards.
it was so good to finally get out for peace and quiet away from traffic. Stars were beautiful one night. To be continued …

Oh you poor boy David. Not the trip; Low's is a wonderful lake. But the imitation lobster. You come to Maine and I will fix that. Love the big smile!

Thanks for posting the trip report, it brings back many fond memories. I have been going there every year or so since it opened, but didn't make it this year (yet). One summer I was fortunate enough to serve as an AFR there - got paid to do what I wanted to do and was able to camp on Gooseneck Island during every patrol with that great view down the lake. Also, I believe it was the second year it opened to the public that I happened to meet Seth Low, a relative of Augustus Low at the upper dam. He was visiting the area from Long Island. The the buildings were still there and we had an interesting conversation about the place and the family. He gave me his business card - which I probably still have somewhere...

Looks like a nice trip, I'm impressed with your gear, looks like you have it down pretty good in that first picture. Not too much stuff.
Looks like a cot there too, maybe two. I dragged a cot along on my trip to Quebec, I sleep much better on a cot with a half inflated Thermarest.
Any pics of your tent?
Lows has always been a great destination, been there many times, never disappointed.
Yes, we have real lobstershere in Maine.

Robins post reminds me of how much furniture can extend our tripping years. Now I can't live without my Helinox chair for reading or .. ahem assistance in exiting the tent.....

I'm glad you got out it looks like you had a great time.

Don't let them kid you about the fake lobster, it's surimi, the Japanese have been eating it for centuries. I would make it a point though to take the real stuff out with you when you do get to Maine.

Enjoyed your trip report.

Seeing your canoe tripping.net tee shirt reminded me to get mine out and see if I can still fit into it:oops:.
Biggest Doug had was an XL, when a 2X would have been preferred.

Nope, still fits like a hipster would like, and apparently I am still an old plump guy. Rats. 245 needs a 2X.

Glad to see you also appreciate lower back support while paddling.

Thanks for the trip report.

Bill

I'm glad you got out it looks like you had a great time.

Don't let them kid you about the fake lobster, it's surimi, the Japanese have been eating it for centuries. I would make it a point though to take the real stuff out with you when you do get to Maine.
ugh. Processed pollock protein with coloring. Its safe but.. ick. Often labeled as imitation crab. https://www.seafoodhealthfacts.org/faq/what-surimi

Looks like a nice trip, I'm impressed with your gear, looks like you have it down pretty good in that first picture. Not too much stuff.
Looks like a cot there too, maybe two. I dragged a cot along on my trip to Quebec, I sleep much better on a cot with a half inflated Thermarest.
Any pics of your tent?
Lows has always been a great destination, been there many times, never disappointed.
Yes, we have real lobstershere in Maine.
AF8F1E21-464C-4BA7-A87A-E8CA4314292C.jpegRobin, mine is on the right. The Maine Bryer cot( yep another Maine item brought) fit exactly inside.
my friend Mikes tent on left. he was at your winter gathering years ago, when I accidentally had to much of that Grand Marneier. Haha.

I love Baloney!
years ago my buddy and I paddled part of Lake Champlain in Vermont and we brought lots of French food and drink. I learned a lot about those French onion rings in a can. Wow salty!
next month AMC paddle will bring Matza Ball soup for happy hour!
bringing my hobo reflector over on backpack trip this weekend and will try it out.
my trail name is now “Knish” with some groups. Oh so hard to lose weight. Best to all.

Thanks for sharing your trip report. Now where can I get one of those CanoeTripping.net T-shirts! I love the swag!

Hey Coldfeet, I'm thinking of going to Lows this coming weekend and have a couple questions if you don't mind. Did you put in at the lower dam or somewhere else? Were you able to get a map of the lake that had the campsites marked, if so where? It looks like a great destination but I'm not finding much straightforward info on it.

Back