• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Not a Half Bad Idea...if I do say so......

Reaction score
Now, you know about all the difficulties of organizing a fund raiser here for the "CanoeTripping" site. Or at least some of them.

And you probably know Glenn is looking for a fixed bladed knife and the Mora knife came up a lot in the discussion. I went to the Mora site and they have a bunch of great knives. Cheap.

What if the next time Robin did a fund raiser he offered a knife when somebody contributed above such and such an amount? Shoot! Most all of us are gear junkies and that Mora knife would make a great back up knife, or maybe a back up to the back up knife, or maybe a back up knif..........you get the picture.

Now that's the nub of the idea....Come on Robin, lets have a fund raiser!

Now, not many know this next part; Brad is working up a theme song for the site, it's a catchy little rag-time tune, a riff adaptation from "The Song of the Volga Boatmen" Don't bug him about it because he's having problems with the lyrics, it's so hard for him; he's so taciturn and laconic.
When you check out the Mora site you can see that those folks aren't afraid of innovation, wouldn't it be great if they could combine a functional Kazoo into the plastic sheath? Then next summer we could all go up to Memaquay's and sit around the campfire and play the song! Oh, gosh it just brings tears to my eyes!

No need to thank me, always glad to help!

Rob

I could have bought many Mora's(not a few) for my contribution during the last fundraiser and am still waiting for my sticker.... I didn't want one for free when Robin was giving them away and I'm really a want-to -be tripper, even though I paddle quite a range of watercraft, but I'd sure like that sticker... Ihad never contributed to a fundraising before , but I really enjoy reading the stuff here.... Rick....a everyday lurker.....

Hi Canube,
Did you send me an address? Darn, if you did and I didn't send you the sticker, let me know, send me a PM or email me at rdlauer_00@yahoo.com, I'll send it out asap.
BTW, I have plenty of stickers, even got a couple that where sent back from a disgruntled fs member:rolleyes:, so if anyone wants a couple, send me a address, I'll send them out.

Thanks for the idea OM, any future fund raisers are a long way off. Although some things need to be worked on as far as the site goes, it's a slow process and the funds are there, Thanks to our generous members. (it's a slow process cause I'm cautious, inexperienced, and careful how I spend others money)

Also, not sure if getting involved in sending a knife to someones house is something I would want to do. Just the way things are anymore.:(

I think the idea of a piece of donated, raffled equipment would be a great way to raise funds and membership...
Could be anything unique, one of Rippy's knives, one of my strippers, one of those fancy boxes (what were they called again?)...

Well Robin, you are the one who sent me an e-mail saying my sticker would b e on it's way..........Really it's a non thing 'cause I don't put that stuff on vehicles... I do have a area in my basement where I keep that kind of stuff.....

Well Robin, you are the one who sent me an e-mail saying my sticker would b e on it's way..........Really it's a non thing 'cause I don't put that stuff on vehicles... I do have a area in my basement where I keep that kind of stuff.....

Sorry Canube, just send me the details, I'll send you the stickers, my error. I sent alot out and not doubt screwed up somewhere.

Hey..... I don't want Kim's returned stickers as I've mentioned your( you and Kim) problem that you so noticably posted here with her on paddling.net I got a nice reply from Charlie first and then Kim and I mentioned how you believed that it was necessary to explain that situation to your community here...I live in Cleveland , Ohio and am so far away from the magnificent areas most of you get to paddle. I hope to get to some of those areas sometime....Rick

Not at all.... I guess you don't visit Pnet as if you did, you might have seen Yellowcanoe's problem with another web site that didn't see fit to keep the freestyle conversation going... I mention'd your reply as to why you had her censored as you had mentioned that she was warned about something more than once and she has since said some less than nice stuff about it(only once that I read on Pnet). I called her on it and got personal e-mail from her and Charlie Wilson about it ...... That's all that I can say.....I will donate when the situation arises again as I said , I enjoy looking here every day. Are you saying that You can't see my e-mail address? I'm still on am radio as I'm really tech challenged, but I would have thought you would have access to that kind of stuff. Please know this, I'm very happy that you took this challenge on and that's why I donated....

Last edited:
Hmmm....... this is beginning to resemble one of those Russian novels where I can't keep everybody straight. Or maybe I'm having an Alzheimer moment.

Canube, unless I miss my guess, Robin isn't going to be able to mail those stickers to your e-mail address. Of course he's pretty tricky, maybe he's got some new way to do it.
I'd send you my stickers but if I got them off the truck I'm afraid it just might fall apart.

Rob

Oldie,.. as I think your I reply is sort of funny, I was just asking Robin, as he's the proprietary info owner here, that when he sent me an e-mail, he doesn't have the info about us as members? I guess at this point, I'm sorry I even posted anything about this as anyone can see I joined a while ago but have been a lurker till today. i'll stay a lurker... sorry if I tweaked things.....I'm pretty sure when I used my visa card to donate, I had to give a fair amount of peersonal info

For goodness sakes don't leave Canube! We have lots of fun here and knowing what you're talking about is the last thing we worry about. Besides, I believe you have an under appreciated talent for sowing confusion!
Now just hold on a minute and think about it. If you stick around, then, every time we get all tangled up and not sure which way's up, everyone can blame you!
"Dog gone it! Whata mess! I'll bet that dang Canube has been fooling around here again!"
And there you go, you've done your part to bring order to one little corner of the universe.

Hope you stay active!!
Rob

Um, I'm a relative newcomer to this site. I read frequently and post infrequently. No offense to anyone but I don't understand this post. I do want to say that I donated some money to the last fundraiser and quickly received 2 canoetripping.net stickers, in a hand addressed letter from Robin, quickly, via US Mail.

Dang it all Oldie! You went and made me go and look up Taciturn and Laconic. Just for that I feel I'm gonna hafta practise being, what was it again? Taciturn. And the Laconic thing too just for good measure. And there I was thinking it sounded like a mixed drink for sipping in the English countryside, while playing croquet with fine ladies from distinguished families; and there'd be servants carrying silver trays of caviar and biscuits calling me "m'lord", all Downton Abbeyish. A corgi named Fontelroy would be lapping Champagne from crystal, and I'd be thinking "I wonder if I can get the cricket match on the BBC Home Service?." And then from out of the......oh shoot!!
This Taciturn and Laconic thing is gonna take some practice.

Last edited:
Personal information doesn't just land on Robin's lap when you / I / we donate by paypal, credit card, or money order. That's my understanding anyway. The last time I donated, Robin requested my mailing information. I neglected to send him my last name, because I assumed he knew it. By the time I e-mailed it to him he'd just left for a trip north, probably mailing stickers all along the way. Mine came in the mail just fine, addressed to : Brad...no last name, and just my address (well most of it). It got here just fine. I'm sure Robin would be happy to send a sticker out to any supporter of this site, but don't count on your full name and address being already "in the system".
No problem. Just e-mail him the name & address info. Easy.

Well, I did drop the ball on that one, there was a return address with canube's generous donation and I guess I never sent out the stickers.
I'm very sorry about that, my error.
Hopefully you can find a good spot for them canube, but if not, please throw them out in a Canoe store parking lot...just kidding, hope all is forgiven.

I think the idea of a piece of donated, raffled equipment would be a great way to raise funds and membership...
Could be anything unique, one of Rippy's knives, one of my strippers, one of those fancy boxes (what were they called again?)...

I like that idea and I’d be down to donate something for an auction or raffle.

There are a lot of handy, craftsman-creative paddlers on this site and I expect that the community at large could come up with a goodly number of items. The devil of course is in the details, the size and weight and shipping costs.

I’m sure that part is manageable; the donatee could pay shipping as part of their contribution, or the winner as part of their bid or whatever. Those items might even be something that the donatee documents during construction on Canoe Tripping

heck, I’ll start. I’m ready to build a couple of small solo-sized Fire-in-a-Can candles and can easily make an extra with specialty feeder bricks.

Or maybe a corrupted 1917 Bolo knife. I think Glenn needs one in his Magic Bus Zombie apocalypse collection.

Stripperguy, I like that idea a lot. More work for Robin, but the concept of making something and seeing it go to some fellow paddler who wants it enough to win the bid appeals greatly to me.

Back