• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Northstar or Bell Seliga- Does anyone have experience with one?

Congratulations, it looks great! My wife and I are thinking about replacing our old Bell Northwind with a Northstar Seliga. My only concern has been my wish to occasionally use it solo for day trips. I'd love to hear how it works for you when you use it solo.
Thanks Ober and welcome to the site. I have no problem soloing this boat, but I like big maneuverable boats. I would say that for a large volume tripper it is very well suited for soloing.

Al, do you sit on that foam block? If so, is it because you want to be higher or so your legs can more easily go over that bow thwart, which you probably could remove?

Yes I do Glenn. I use that foam on the bow seat of my 18' OT Guide to get me at the same hight as the thwart. In the Seliga the foam gets me within an inch of the gunnel and I can comfortably paddle with my legs over the thwart. Even though the rails are very stiff on this boat I doubt I will remove the thwart. I have done that on other boats but I prefer to raise the seat to the gunnels to accomplish the same thing. I doubt I will do that on this boat though because of its' extra depth and rounded bottom.

Thanks Bob, I do think it is the right boat for me.

Glenn I also take another piece of that 3” foam block to kneel on. With it I can paddle from anywhere in the boat depending on wind conditions, no need for a seat or thwart.

I was looking at the Seliga just last nite. Looks great. Can't wait to hear about your experience.

And congrats on your 2000th message!

Back