• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Northstar northwind 17 hull deformities

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen this before? If so, can you tell me what caused it? Both stems are like this on both sides, fore and aft of the flotation bulkheads.

Attachments

• photo9261.jpg
    photo9261.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 1
Wow, that is weird. I wonder if the float tanks somehow sucked a vacuum on elevation change. It looks to match the float tank size and shape.

I have seen a well sealed blue barrel do something similar.

Wow, that is weird. I wonder if the float tanks somehow sucked a vacuum on elevation change. It looks to match the float tank size and shape.

I have seen a well sealed blue barrel do something similar.

But NorthStar is not built in the sky.. Its flat in MN.. Unless someone submerged it deliberately to at least 33 feet I can't see that happening.. And the float tanks ought to have relief valves. Or it was built in a very hot environment.At any rate Ted would be very interested in this.

I have only seen the other deformity .Our Souris River does not have any valve in the relief tank and it started to bulge at 12000 feet. We had a drill and promptly drilled a small hole.

If your float tanks have a vinyl plug, take them out and leave them out for a while and see what happens. The plugs usually have a small relief hole through the center but sometimes it is too small and seals itself off. If taking the plug out corrects the problem, make the holes in the plugs larger. If the float tank has no hole or plug of any type, you can drill a hole that is a little smaller than a stainless steel sheet metal screw and use that has a plug. There will be enough of a gap around the threads to equalize pressures.

In the last couple years at Bell Canoe we changed from air chambers with tanks plugs to foam filled end tanks. Tank plugs were necessary to handle pressure changes in the air chambers. We had seen quite a number of older canoes that were missing their tank plugs, thereby rendering the air chambers worthless, so we switched to foam filled end tanks.
We fill the flotation chambers with a two part pour foam that fills every void. When the foam is incorrectly mixed and the temperature varies, those combine to cause the puckering you see in the picture. The foam company has helped us eliminate the puckering with very precise measuring instruments for the foam.
If this is your canoe please contact me: bear@northstarcanoes.com. We stand behind everything we make.

If your float tanks have a vinyl plug, take them out and leave them out for a while and see what happens. The plugs usually have a small relief hole through the center but sometimes it is too small and seals itself off. If taking the plug out corrects the problem, make the holes in the plugs larger. If the float tank has no hole or plug of any type, you can drill a hole that is a little smaller than a stainless steel sheet metal screw and use that has a plug. There will be enough of a gap around the threads to equalize pressures.

What Pete said. It would not take much to plug up a little pressure release plug, if indeed there is one.

I have no idea about the possible elevation changes between MN and NY and wherever else the canoe may have been.

That pressure variance happens enough in travel with barrels, and even well sealed gasketed pails and drums that sometimes open with a Schwoopfff. That happens often enough with the screw top CurTec drums I make sure there are opposing force handholds to twist on both the lid and container, lest I find myself cursing in camp, reenacting Granny and the Pickle Jar struggles.

Bear
Thank you for the explication and for taking the time to speak with me today. But especially, for standing behind your product. This is a beautifully crafted canoe, that I

Fuzzy, dang those I am contractions for cutting off posts. It is hard to channel ones inner Mattie Ross and avoid all contractions in the written word.

Bear Paulsen, one can not ask for more than a manufacturer standing behind their product in a public forum.

I, we, will be curious about the cause of the defect at the stem float tank, and maybe learn something

Bear P, Many thanks for stepping up to the plate to help out a fellow paddler! It's very reassuring to see a company, as McCrea said, to stand behind their product on a forum such as this! This is the second time in a week, one personal, that a company has gone out of their way to not only work with their customers but also back up the products they make. Kudos!

dougd

Yes Mike. The contractions have been a real pain in the butt. Worst of all... I know about them, but, forget not to use them. Ugh! Do not get old.

Back