• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

New to site

Reaction score
Hi All, I just discovered this site, and registered immediatly. I have a couple trips planned for ADK, one of them being Cranberry lake. I hope to do a lot of exploring, paddling, and fishing. Starting on the lake, exploring bays, and maybe hiking to some near by ponds. If that is possible. Can you tell me what lakes are reachable, like Spectacle Pond, Toad Pond, Simmons Pond... etc, and how the fishing might be, on those ponds. I hope to hear from you soon!

Patchfly, just as some general suggestions, you can get topo maps for all parts of the park that will show trails. Also, and perhaps more convenient, the most current paddling guidebook and paddler's maps are the ones authored by Dave Cilley, the noted Adirondack outfitter and guide, which are available from his own shop, St. Regis Canoe Outfitters, as well as from many other paddling and sports outlets in the Dacks. His paddling guidebook often discusses nearby hiking opportunities to various canoe routes.

Cranberry Lake can be a nice place to explore by canoe -- lots of nooks and crannies -- but it's is also very big. That means it can get very windy and wavy and also may have a lot of powerboats in season, conditions that are not conducive to pleasant paddling. Pick your day, your weather conditions, and your distance from shore very carefully on big, open lakes.

Sorry, I know nothing about fishing. Many others here do.

Hi Glenn - I appreciate the tip. I just e-mailed St Regis Canoe Outfitters. For the Topo maps, can I print those from the web, or can I just search for a specific map, and purchase?

I have heard this, about Cranberry lake. I plan on spending 4 days there, so I hope that will give me enough time to explore the southern section of the lake, and hopefully, hike to some of the secluded ponds and explore the Oswegatchie River. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can, so that I am prepared.

I don't know about printing topos from the web. I never looked into it. I have topos I bought for most of the Dacks over the years, but frankly I never use them any more. I dont need super accurate elevations and don't use a compass any more except as a backup to my GPS.

I use the current version of Cilley's paddlers map. The primary map (there are now two) shows the complete Cranberry region. His maps show most of the canoeable waterways in enough detail for just about any paddler's needs. The maps also show the locations of the NYS campsites, canoe put-ins and take-outs, the portage routes, boat ramps, and parking lots for canoe vehicles. It's expensive - $20 - but I think the best investment for an Adirondacks paddler. Much more helpful to me as a paddler than the paper topos. I have electronic topos in my Garmin GPS, which I now find much easier to use for paddling purposes. (Use Energizer Ultimate Lithiums and bring extras.)

The guidebook has some of the map sections in miniature, and describes all the portage routes, distances and obstacles. Both the maps and guidebook are made of waterproof paper. Cilley sells them as a set for a slight combined discount. I recommend them.

Hi Glenn - I appreciate the tip. I just e-mailed St Regis Canoe Outfitters. For the Topo maps, can I print those from the web, or can I just search for a specific map, and purchase?
There are many sources for free printable topo maps online.

http://store.usgs.gov (go to "map locator and downloader")
http://gis.ny.gov/gisdata/quads/drg24/index.htm (select a quad, print the DRG version)
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php (zoom in, select "topo high" from the menu)

These will all be the USGS version. Some have not been updated in some time, but most trails shown are accurate. Dave Cilley's maps are much more current, but they are not true topo maps.

Don't want to start a navigation issue here, but I always recommend preplanning any trip with a topo map, and carrying a map and compass complete with understanding how to use them from any location. Perhaps not so much of an issue if you never stray on land away from a lake shoreline. GPS is a wonderful tool, but not sufficient for any backwoods hiking expeditions in this SAR instructor's opinion. Besides, understanding and using M&C navigation skills greatly and positively adds to the experience.

Last edited:
Awesome info - Thank you very much. I was thinking that just heading in the direction the ponds might be, wouldn't be a very good idea!!! I have about 2 1/2 months to prepare. I can hardly wait! Typically, I stick to the water and then set up camp near by, but there so many ponds to hike to... I have to check them out.

Hi Patchfly,
Welcome.
Do you have the "Northwest lakes" map from the series of maps called "The Adirondacks" (scale 1:62,500), they sell them in all the outdoor stores in northern NY. Northwest lakes edition has Cranberry Lake on it. It's a big map, not really a hikers map, but it's great for canoeing the ADK's and it doubles as a great trip planner when sitting around camp. My map is so wore it's held together with clear tape.
I also have a "Trails in the Cranberry Lake Region" pamphlet put out by the DEC. It opens up to a map of Cranberry Lake and shows lots of trails. Great for planning. Mine is old, it has George Pataki listed as Governor.
Robin

Thanks Robin. The only map I have, is of the high peeks. I need to start collecting more. I checked out the Combo Paddlers Map and Guide, mentioned above, but it's $47.95!!! I was going to go to EMS and see what they had, in regards to maps, planners, Topo's... etc. I will definately look into the ones you mentioned. Thanks again!

While the PAddler's Guide does provide some great descriptions and such, the map should be all you need. You can purchase that separately. I think the 5th edition is the most recent?

Back