• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

new member from Maryland

Reaction score
Greetings all: Long time paddler, cyclist, backpacker that has been lurking for a few months. I use to paddle whitewater kayaks and canoes. I have slowed down my whitewater recreation to do more canoe touring. I have an old (25 yo) Old Town Tripper. It is a beast but hauled my kids (3), wife all over the place for many decades. They all fit including the dog. As I age(60) I think I might be looking for a smaller and lighter canoe, possible kevlar. Kids are on their own but the dog still wants to go.
Anyway I plan to read all you write and perhaps contribute. Spent the last 2 falls in Utah paddling the Needles section of the Green river.

@ Mike McCrea, we paddled the Gunpowder a few times when our kids were young. I think we hooked up through the Monocacy club. I think you were starting up the Duck club at that time. Never paddled with the Duck club but if you are still messing around in boats drop me a line. I am recently retired and trying to stay out of trouble:)

Regards to all, Charlie Murphy

Welcome Charlie. I think you'll find lots of information, lots of conversation, and maybe even a friend or two.

Have some fun.

Momentum

Glad to have you, Charlie. I am a little south of you, just off the Severn River. Things are a little iced up here but at least it isn't -20 degrees!
Regards,
Dave

Hi all:

Thanks for the warm welcome, especially with our recent temps. Those in Maryland, perhaps we can paddle together sometime in the future after the thaw. I really like paddling some of the local rivers, less work:) I'll post when I paddle next. Talk soon.

Hi all, Been canoe-camping 30 years in the Adirondacks and stumbled over here this morning. We live in the Hudson Valley and are working on a small place in Franklin County . Nice to see people from all over, and recognize some of you from other forums.

Hi all, Been canoe-camping 30 years in the Adirondacks and stumbled over here this morning. We live in the Hudson Valley and are working on a small place in Franklin County .

"small place in Franklin County" is as good as it gets!....Welcome

Welcome Charlie, I believe that you will find this forum to very informative and fun, a lot of great people here.

@ Mike McCrea, we paddled the Gunpowder a few times when our kids were young. I think we hooked up through the Monocacy club. if you are still messing around in boats drop me a line. I am recently retired and trying to stay out of trouble:)

Hey Charlie, nice to hear from you. There are a couple of MCC/GBCC folks here and it is generally a pretty mellow community.

I am likewise retired, and am still messing around in and with boats. I was on the Green in the spring of ’13 and ’14 and I’m hoping for a threepeat in’15.

Thanks for the welcome Greywolf and Mike.

I missed you on the Green. I went in the fall, lots of sand bars everywhere. great place to paddle. Not certain I will make it this fall, thinking about backpacking in the Winds. I have Florida slated for this spring. Retirement is sweet, can't knock the smile off my face. If you want to paddle drop me a line.

I missed you on the Green. I went in the fall, lots of sand bars everywhere. great place to paddle.

I expect you would have known my companions on the Green trips – Beckwith, Walsek and Carpenter, all involved in the local paddling scene.

thinking about backpacking in the Winds. I have Florida slated for this spring. Retirement is sweet, can't knock the smile off my face.

The Wind River range is one of my favorite places on earth. Titcombe Basin and Cirque of the Towers especially. Great trout fishing there too.

I may be in the Everglades in late March/early April. Or I may be on my way to the Chiricahuas.

I expect you would have known my companions on the Green trips – Beckwith, Walsek and Carpenter, all involved in the local paddling scene.

The Wind River range is one of my favorite places on earth. Titcombe Basin and Cirque of the Towers especially. Great trout fishing there too.

I may be in the Everglades in late March/early April. Or I may be on my way to the Chiricahuas.

The names sound familiar.

The Cirque is one of the goals. Might fish as well.

If you are passing through the Okie 3/16-18 join me on a flatform.

Balto Charlie,

Welcome, I'm a newbie here myself, after reading/lurking for a while. I'm in Monkton, along the GP.

Are you still looking for a solo? I have a (lightweight) kevlar MRC Indy (approx 36#) (wood rails) that I may be willing to part with. I got it used, but just don't have much time to get it wet.

Balto Charlie,

Welcome, I'm a newbie here myself, after reading/lurking for a while. I'm in Monkton, along the GP.

Are you still looking for a solo? I have a (lightweight) kevlar MRC Indy (approx 36#) (wood rails) that I may be willing to part with. I got it used, but just don't have much time to get it wet.

Hi paddlindan: I am interested. I am unfamiliar with this boat so please send me info and pictures. Weight sounds good. Is it better for kneeling or sitting? here's my email, drop me a line. chalfredm@netscape.net

Even if I don't buy it perhaps we can paddle sometime.
thanks, Charlie

Back