• Happy National Letter Writing Day! 📝✉️📬

New Guy, Long Island

Reaction score
Good Morning!
The short version: I've been canoeing since childhood, currently own two wooden canoes that I sail and paddle.

Much longer:
Dad built a kit canoe when I was four. Canvas on a wooden skeleton, it was probably a Trailcraft. After a couple of more kids, and some rock damage to the canvas, he built another of fiberglass. He left the boat at a local boatyard, we could walk or bicycle to it and go paddling, dig clams etc. We had some challenges, but it was great fun. I high school I made plans to paddle and sail that boat around Long Island. It's probably well that I didn't.
After six years in the USCG, I built a sailing dinghy and started a progression of boats. One of my tenders was an American Traders Skylark, a 14' square stern cedar and glass canoe. It wasn't ideal, and I sold it to a guy with a lake cabin. Years later while rebuilding my yawl, I needed a way to get on the water. I bought a 15' glued lapstrake canoe with a BSD sail rig. That winter I drove it to Florida on top of the car and paddled or sailed a different spot every day. Beware of alligators. Also be aware that sailing a 28" 40# canoe requires agility, caution and sometimes repairs. That boat has been to Massachusetts and Delaware with me too. Recently I bought another 15' wooden canoe. Originally wood canvas of uncertain origin, someone gave it a second life by fiberglassing it. I've given it a couple of tests with single and double paddle, and the sail rig in light air. I really like it.
I still dream of canoe cruising. We camped on barrier beaches with my my Dad's canoe. I would do another trip like Florida, with a base camp. Meanwhile I paddle and sail the streams and salt marshes near home.

Reaction score
Yep. NY sticks out into the Atlantic and touches two Great Lakes. I tried driving home from Buffalo in a day once.
I went to SUNY Potsdam (many years ago) and a lot of music students from Long Island because - in time, not miles - it was further than SUNY Fredonia, the other state college with big music program.

Reaction score
Welcome, I’m in Plainview originally a Queens boy. Got into paddling after having knee issues hiking Catskills and other NE peaks.
Have a few tandems, Placid Rapidfire and a Chestnut Chum that was restored a few years ago.
Maybe next spring we can get together out east.