• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

New from CT & NY

Reaction score
Hi, new here. Came across the site while looking for info on a new to me old canoe, but that can be the subject of another thread.

I've been paddling the same canoe on the same lake (Kanawauke in NY) for nearly 60 years now. Our family had a cabin in a camp on the lake when I was young, and Dad hooked into a deal where there were two extra canoes from some camp that ordered a bunch, so he picked them up, one for us and one for a friend. It's a first generation fiberglass canoe, very heavy, but it can carry some weight and once you get it moving on flat water it just keeps going... they were the canoes of choioce for the annual canoe regatta.

When we gave up the cabin, Dad kept the canoe but eventually gave it to me, and when I returned to the camp years later with my own family the canoe naturally returned too. It's a little worse for the wear, and has patches around the middle where it got broken blowing off the rack in a windstorm, and a dent in the bow from when we foolishly tried to run a whitewater river with it, but it still floats and my own kids learned to paddle in it. :) The friend's canoe is also still there. I've also used it to get to offshore rocks in Long Island Sound for spearfishing.

Dana, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Does Kanawauke link up with any of those other nearby lakes? I might try paddling there as it's not too far from me.

Welcome Dana, I know you will enjoy yourself here. Looking forward to your posts.

Does Kanawauke link up with any of those other nearby lakes? I might try paddling there as it's not too far from me
Kanawauke is a chain of 3 lakes divided by two road bridges.
1688603940995.png

I've heard of people portaging around the dam to get to Sebago, but it wouldn't be easy. The American Canoe Association has a camp on Sebago.

Back