• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

New fabric/process - the end of Gore-Tex?

Veddy interesting.. I'd like to see something that works better than GoreTex at low temps.( around freezing.. Below I will use Egyptian Cotton). GoreTex sometimes sucks and requires frequent DWR refreshing and sometimes for reasons unknown to me at all doesn't work. Usually its in a sleeve.

Interesting. I'm not a big fan of Gore-tex, or any WB products, they are usually not really waterproof, and they certainly not all that breathable.... If I could find good quality Egyptian cotton, I would get a roll of for garments and tent but alas not easy, almost impossible to find...

I would love it if Egyptian cotton was more easily available again. My first trail tarp was one I made in Boy Scouts and it was Egyptian cotton. Best tarp I ever had. I only wish I could remember what happened to it. One day I had it, and the next I didn't. My guess is I stored it away so well that it will be found years from now in some family move. Anyway, here's hoping for the day when it becomes more readily available; at least at a cost I can afford.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

It is such a relief to hear people talk this way about Goretex. I first used it in Alaska in 1978. The company supplied it to us for field work in country that gets 150 inches of rain a year. It ripped in the brush and was very slippery on steep slopes. We got wet from our own sweat after awhile. I went to Filson tin cloth and some wool even for summer conditions. We waded rivers a lot as there are no bridges or trails. I wore a Stanfield wool union suit even in July.

I have tried several newer versions of Goretex. Mostly I go back to the traditional materials for tough conditions.

Not a fan of gore-tex either. Worthless with high exertion during high humidity and rain. When it rains in the Mid-Atlantic cyclist always say warm sweat (gore-tex) or cold rain (no rain gear), choose one.
The new technique would make the gear more comfortable for sure but also more compressible. Gore-tex is bulky. I do prefer the Gore-tex paclite series.

Not a fan of gore-tex either. Worthless with high exertion during high humidity and rain. When it rains in the Mid-Atlantic cyclist always say warm sweat (gore-tex) or cold rain (no rain gear), choose one.
The new technique would make the gear more comfortable for sure but also more compressible. Gore-tex is bulky. I do prefer the Gore-tex paclite series.

Pit zips and a vented back do a lot to keep cyclists both cool and dry. Add a shower-cap-type helmet cover and neoprene booties and your rain gear is complete.

Back