• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

New, currently living in Massachusetts.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm Ben. I've spent the past fifteen or so years in an old recreational kayak, and had long wanted a canoe so I went for it.
My paddling is almost entirely dictated by fishing and birdwatching, so I sprung for a Nova Craft Trapper; it's slow as all get out, but very stable and easy to carry more or less anywhere. I currently spend most of my time on the local ponds and a few slow rivers, but I spent a nice weekend last fall up in northern New Hampshire and had a blast. I'm looking forward to many years of quiet paddling.
Anyway, I'm glad to be here.

Welcome ! Trapper is a nice boat (I don't find it slow for a 12', but I'm not naturally a quick paddler :)=. ).

Keith

Welcome to site membership and posting, Ben! It's not every day we get a poster with a longer username (in letters) than his canoe (in feet).

Thanks for the nice replies! Unfortunately I'll be shortly moving to coastal South Carolina, so I hope that I can manage the local conditions in the Trapper.

Thanks for the nice replies! Unfortunately I'll be shortly moving to coastal South Carolina, so I hope that I can manage the local conditions in the Trapper.
I like South Carolina a lot. Great variation from the coast to the central Piedmont to the western mountains. There is lots of coastal and estuary paddling, many blackwater rivers not too far inland, and some superb swamps such as Sparkleberry.

Welcome Gaultheria. You'll probably like the coastal waters (lots of birds!) and the blackwater rivers.

I'm trying to get more excited about; while I vastly prefer a cooler climate I won't be able to complain about year round water access. I'm more concerned about changing my cavalier habits in the woods; I haven't had to worry about snakes in over a decade....

Glenn- I think that I'll be doing a lot of estuary cruising looking for drum; I grew up renting kayaks at Huntington Beach State Park, but that was a long time ago. It'll be nice to creep around in the salt marshes again. I am definitely looking forward to only being a short drive from the mountains; I suspect there is a lot less traffic passing Columbia then there is in Boston... Haha!

Erica- One of the only things that I truly miss about the SE coast is the ibises, so I'm definitely looking forward to the birding.

Sweeper- Ha! Something like that. I've unfortunately spent very little time away from the South Shore and will be moving south over the summer. There's plenty of nice water around here; beating the crowds is the trick.

When you tell people, even in-state, you're from Colrain you get, "Where's that?"

My reply, "And that's the way we like it."

Back