• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

"New" as yet unidentified canoe

Reaction score
Picked this up today, was told it was 18' but I think it's closer to 16'. It's a redwood hull that was built about 20 years ago and never finished. Needs, gunwales, decks, seats, thwarts and some tender loving care. Doesn't appear to have much rocker and looks symmetrical but does have some tumblehome. Needs a good cleaning before I can completely asses the hull and then it's on to finishing it up. Does look like it was varnished but I'm not sure how many coats or even what glass and what weight was used. Has an internal stem but no outer stem.

Project time!

IMG_20190507_164831.jpg

That's a nice looking hull. I like the recurred ends that maximize the waterline length for the overall length of the boat. The new Swift Cruisers have that feature in the stern and so do Blackhawk canoes from the 80s and 90s. Looks like a great project boat.

I'm proud of you , Redwood is heavy and you got it up!
Looks like a homebuild?

Didn't seem too heavy but then again there were no gunnels or seats or anything in it. I like the look but it seems like it should have some rocker.

I'm guessing ! But it looks like the MCA Kootenay, that Bruce Kunz designed. Is it Tumblehomed ?

I think the MCA may still have plans ?

Nice Score ! Especially if it's Epoxy ! After 20 yrs, Poly will reveal itself ! Great Project !

Jim

I'm guessing ! But it looks like the MCA Kootenay, that Bruce Kunz designed. Is it Tumblehomed ?

I think the MCA may still have plans ?

Nice Score ! Especially if it's Epoxy ! After 20 yrs, Poly will reveal itself ! Great Project !

Jim

Jim,

I love your knowledge of canoe designs, may well be a Kootenay, it does have tumblehome. It was a midwest build in WI and he did tell me he bought plans from somewhere but couldn't remember where or what.

Greg

Was told it was 18' but it is actually 16'. Widest point is 37.5" but the width is 33-34" at the gunnels. Haven't put it in the water but in the grass doesn't seem to have any rocker. Trying to decide if it was ever varnished, don't think so. Also, still working on getting the dirt out of the inside but it may have an extra layer of glass = football on the inside.

Back