• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Need a ADK Outhouse

Reaction score
A friend wants to introduce his wife and daughter to back country canoe camping but worries they will not enjoy the greatness of an open thunderbox. He asked me if I knew of any canoe in sites where there is a decent outhouse in the ADK's.

It would be an extra item of gear, but they could consider using something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KPSDEQI?psc=1

71Tn3VvV-BL._SL1000_.jpg

Folds up pretty small.

There was one on the northern most island in Follensby Clear Pond. Follensby is due west of Saranac Lake. There was also one on Buck island in Saranac Lake but that lake is not wilderness at all with the jet skis, paragliding, and waterskis. I'll bet most Island campsites have an outhouse. Call Saint Regis Canoe Outfitters, they might have more info.
Jim

I'm not sure that they would like an outhouse. I sometimes see deposits outside the outhouse. Something about dark and spiders..

While I'm not a fan of ponchos while canoeing, they do give a certain bit of modesty to the exposed thunder box.
Dave

There are outhouses at Little Green Pond.
And if they might stay at the Forked Lake campground (not the free end) there are outhouses there too.

Hard to believe they wouldn't like a thunder box! MDB used one last year on LTL and she initially turned her nose up at them. (no pun intended)
But after she used it a few times, she agreed it was waaaaay better than any outhouse.

Thanks for all the options and information. I'm not a fan of outhouses either, especially when it has spider webs. I like the poncho idea and that little house is another good idea.
Thanks for the locations too.

Robin,
WIth my daughters I used a NEBO Nylon Pyramid tent which is floorless and sets up tquick with one center pole. Add a piece of carpet and a 7 Gallon tall bucket with a toilet seat on it. Just throw some pine needle or other dander in the bottom of the bucket and it's easy to dump into the thunder box. I also hand T P and a box of wet wipes. THey were pretty happy with the setup.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've checked a couple more sources and Long lake has them at most of the sites with Lean to's. I think the 5 gallon bucket set up would be ok to use with the removable seat.

Back