• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

ncft logistics

Reaction score
Assuming I have/buy a solo canoe I'm happy with, how do people get canoe, gear, and themselves home (NY for me) from Ft Kent ME? One way rental car seems best option so far, and don't tell Hertz or whomever about canoe on roof.

Bill,

The best option would be to ship a resupply of clothes and food to Ft. Kent so you can paddle back!

After that option I would like to have someone there to pick me up for the trip home. Or, as you mention, arrange a rental to take myself home. I've never been to Ft. Kent so the rental options might be minimal.

Cheers!
Barry

Are you buying from a Dealer ?

Maybe they could help arrange a delivery ?

Me ? A rental car would be OK, if you were careful strapping it down, and used good pads ?

Peter Macfarlane is the only person to paddle the NFCT in both directions -- W->E in 2013 and E->W in 2018 -- both times in one of his own cedar strip canoes. You can dig down into all his detailed plans, equipment, journals, pictures and experiences from the right side of the home page of his website:

http://www.ottercreeksmallcraft.com/

He used no wheels, carried every portage, but used friends to meet and resupply him along the way as well as meeting him at the end.

NFCT.jpg

Hi Bill, happy to help you when you arrive in Maine. After you paddle Moosehead Lake and reach the West Branch of the Penobscot there will be no services other than foraging.
Depending on the season, I could rendezvous at different points. I met a friend finishing his NFCT at the bridge connecting Chesuncook Lake to Umbazooksus Lake. September 27, 2016. We enjoyed the Mud Pond Carry and camped on Chamberlain Lake that evening after a two carry MPC.
Water levels will be dramatic from high water to drawdown in Autumn. Photo is Umbazooksus Stream May 10, 2015. There will be multiple locations for re-supply for those who can assist.
Next photo is below the bridge of Umbazooksus September 27, 2016. Colin dragged much of the NFCT due to low water levels.

Attachments

• photo18543.jpg
    photo18543.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo18544.jpg
    photo18544.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 0
Car rental in Ft Kent? :):):)
nope
As mentioned while it is a town services are limited Norm at Pelletiers could get you shuttled back to Chamberlain but its in the woods on the Allagash
There are several of us in Maine who might be available to help retrieve you

And if well timed one from Western Mass. I've got a couple trips planned in the area this year.

If I only knew when I'd pack it in. Confident I can make it to Plattsburgh.:)

Trip to Plattsburgh is pretty easy, unless you do it during a hot July, like I did. The Saranac River below Franklin Falls all the way through the area of Redford and beyond can be very bony and shallow. If so, you could expect many miles of carries in between relief in deeper impoundments.

Back