• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

My Wannigan

Reaction score
Here is an unfinished pic of my wannigan. I painted the pictograpgh scene from Agawa rock on the side.

Attachments

• photo1054.jpg
    photo1054.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 0
To all - While I don't know for sure, that animal image might be of an Underwater Panther. I have many Native friends in New England (mostly Abenaki in VT) and they have an image that is similar to that. The Underwater Panther is a powerful entity. I won't go into it too much but traditionally a little white dog would be tossed into the maelstrom while on the water to calm the waters produced by him/it; at least that's my understanding of the situation.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

The horned guy is Misshepissu, the Great Lynx, know in this neck of the woods as the controller of water, usually somewhat malevolent. The serpent like things with him are his minions. We often make a tobacco offering before crossing a big lake, and always at pictograph sites. I'll usually take my chances on the lakes if smokes are running low, but i won't chance it at pictograph sites.

I really like the Agawa pictos on your wannigan. Can you show us the inside? There are some talented wannigan makers on this site. Looks like we can add one more to the group.

I still am working on the top and I am going to be weaving a traditional tumpline from jute twine. my 2 1/2 year old currently is using it as her toybox :confused: but I`ll try to get an inside pic this weekend.

Runner of the woods,
Tres bon. Art is important in canoeing. I draw similar figures on my canoe with a Sharpie. It is a way to pay homage to those that came before.

Back