• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

My Tarp Shelter

Reaction score
phone pics 002.jpg

It's actually two Austrian military shelter halves rigged Whelen style for the open front shelter thing and it can be rigged full closed as well obviously, but there's lots of ways to rig it. The shelter half kits where only $11 each and came with some very heavy duty stakes and nice aluminum poles the shelter halves are heavy brown nylon. Theoretically it's a two man gig, but that would be very cozy haha I think it will work fine for a lone SW canoeist on my relatively bug free rivers with sporadic rain. In reality it will be wind and sun shelter most of the time.

So here it's sat in my front yard for the last week being 'wind tested', wife asked me today how long I was going to leave it there :- ) haha

That's one heck of a 'front yard'. I like it and I don't see why it won't work for the SW. The yard and the tarp would have problem in New England.

We live about 25 miles ( 7 miles of dirt) from the nearest town and it's got a population of about 4k. My nearest neighbor lives 3 miles away.

Our front yard is about 40 acres and so is our back yard. :- ) Mule deer, antelope, elk, coyotes and the occasional Mex grey wolf cross our place.

We like our yard :- )

I like your yard, We live a mile out of town w a pop of under 3k, I can throw a rock into 3 neighbors windows, White Tail, Cottontail, Red Tail, Red fox and Bald Eagle still manage to show up here. :)

Regrettably I haven't spent any time in the NE, about as close as I've come is a couple years in NC.

I grew up in northern WY and southern MT. Our place here in AZ is at 6400' elevation :- )

Regrettably I never made it to AZ, I have an uncle there. The closest I made it was C Springs, CO, we're 1/10 as high as you. They call us Flatlanders down here in Mass. Here's a pic I shot just this morning. My 'Backyard' is to the right of the bend in the river below the church and the white house. When someone in town who is elderly or out of shape wants to exercise they start walking in the cemetery. The roads are too narrow to walk, people here drive like massholes and the rest is hills.

We live about 25 miles ( 7 miles of dirt) from the nearest town and it's got a population of about 4k. My nearest neighbor lives 3 miles away.

Our front yard is about 40 acres and so is our back yard. :- ) Mule deer, antelope, elk, coyotes and the occasional Mex grey wolf cross our place.

We like our yard :- )

Would that nearest town be Alpine?

Either way I'm incredibly jealous of your location. I try to get to SE AZ every couple winters and was blown away the first time I drove through the White Mountains. Gorgeous area. I need to spend some more time there but I have too many places I keep saying that about.

Alan

No but your in the neighborhood haha We live between Snowflake and Show Low.

Did a full remodel on an old cabin in Nutrioso last year. I'm paddling Fools Hollow lake up by Show Low today
:- )

Back