• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Multi pocket canoe packs

Reaction score
The thing I detest the most about portaging is not the walk, nor carrying the canoe (though age has me looking for much lighter gear and boat) but the lack of storage pockets for items that have to be at hand like camera, toilet paper, rain gear and an extra jacket. I now like to double portage and at the same time be organized. Double portaging I find safer and it saves my aging back, knees, ankles and energy. I would like a 2 pack system. One pack for bedding (tent, mattress, sleeping bag and extra clothing. A second, smaller bag with multiple pockets for food plus the above-mentioned toilet paper, etc. that would fit under the canoe yoke when portaging. I have been using large or small barrels on trips for food, barrel size depending on the length of the trip. I must confess that I do not like barrels. They are not space efficient and don't carry well. Wish someone made a square one. Seen this pack advertised on the net and would like to know if anyone here uses it or is familiar with them.

Thanks,

G.

I have made a custom split pack for someone on here. I believe Dan Cooke made the original.

You could use a large fanny pack. Mountainsmith make some good ones.

Square barrels? NRS sell a plastic dry box about the same volume as a small barrel. Using barrel organisers in the round barrels makes for a much better camping experience!

I have come to realize that double carrying is the way to go for me as well. No need to make the carry/portage a nightmare (or a heart attack for those of us with heart issues)!

I’ve adopted a two pack approach; A 70 liter Sealline backpack for the heaviest load, and a second (same bag) lightly loaded with water, food, PFD, rain gear, etc which I carry with the canoe.

I intensely dislike having any gear loose, hanging, rattling around…, so everything gets packed or tied down. The only thing I would like is a ‘holster’ to hold my water bottle on my belt so I can keep it with me on the carries at all times, but detach and affix to the canoe while paddling. Guess I’ll sew one with seatbelt webbing & Velcro to make it easily detachable.

the whole idea of an envelope- style pack is to allow you to easily waterproof your gear which is difficult to do if you need to line every pocket, I just use multiple coloured drybags and stuffsacks

Thanks all.

YC= Had a look but could not find a split pack.

BV = Thanks for the heads-up on the barrel organizers. That may be the way to go.

PC = Good luck with "holster" project. Good idea.

Scouter = Yep, that's what I use now, but I feel scattered.

G.

Thanks all.

YC= Had a look but could not find a split pack.
Box on raft
BV = Thanks for the heads-up on the barrel organizers. That may be the way to go.

PC = Good luck with "holster" project. Good idea.

Scouter = Yep, that's what I use now, but I feel scattered.

G.
I have the NRS “plastic dry box “ and like it for river tripping. I haven’t tried portaging with it yet. I got spoiled using a big aluminum dry box on raft trips and it is basically a smaller, lighter version for canoes. If I ever make it back to the Boundary Waters again I may try using one of my old Duluth packs to portage it. It is rectangular and has a rubber gasket and integrated camstraps. Very convenient for accessing lunch, gear,etc but not super light.

Gerald,

I have no experience with the pack you linked to, but from your described needs, maybe a smaller tactical pack from Maxpedition or similar company with MOLLE panels would work. I think they hang low enough to clear your yoke and you could get pouches suitable for you gear to attach to the exterior of the base pack. The pack you link to looks like it might be a tad tall an could cause interference. Hard to tell just from the picture.

Good luck!
Barry
Maxpedition backpacks

I made this to carry my shoes while portaging. I have since made a second, smaller one for my wife's pack. We put lunch, maps, axe, etc in that one.

bbag002.jpg

I love/hate our dry bags and barrels. 2 of each, large and small. They keep contents well protected from the wet. We tested this last autumn with an unscheduled dump. However barrel diving is one of my least favourite activities. Having to start at the top and spelunking my way down to whatever wherever it is. In my zeal to reduce excess baggage I've also inadvertently reduced access to stuff. On the most recent trip we stopped for a quick brunch on our paddle out. Now where did I put that Thermos of soup?
The answer to all this may be a waterproof duffle. I love the full zip/unzip convenience, however I am not yet sold on this idea.
I'm interested where this thread will go and what I will learn.

If your wallet can stand the prices Duluth has several packs with side and rear pockets. And although I know nothing about them this outfit makes a couple sizes of cane bags....

Chinook chemun

Lastly, I think Mike McCrea has a link to square barrels.

Best regards,

Lance

I have been thinking a small duffle that fit in top of my CCS Pioneer might be a solution to one pack for portaging but two for paddling balance. Still not as elegant as that Ostrom.

I have been thinking a small duffle that fit in top of my CCS Pioneer might be a solution to one pack for portaging but two for paddling balance. Still not as elegant as that Ostrom.
Another advantage (the big one IMO) of breaking your load down to two packs is that it is much easier loading and unloading the boat and getting them up on your back.

Bill, do you have any pictures of how the suspension and harness are attached to that Ostrom pack? I really like the idea of pair bags whether side zip duffel style or some variant of roll or fold over top bag.

Best regards,

Lance

As BV mentioned the barrel organizers are great. I've never used a barrel without them and can't imagine doing so. Pretty much everything goes in the barrel organizer bags except for things I want to grab quickly throughout the day (toilet paper, snacks, etc) and these are free floating in the barrel so I can just pop the lid and grab them.

For carrying the 60L barrel I use a CCS quad pack that has external pockets that are big enough for me to stuff water bottle, jacket, maps, and some other odds and ends that might be floating around in the boat. https://www.shop.cookecustomsewing.com/product.sc?productId=213&categoryId=44

For carrrying my 30L barrel I've found it fits perfectly in a CCS Bushcrafter pack, which also has external pockets: https://www.shop.cookecustomsewing.com/product.sc?productId=215&categoryId=19

Alan

Back