• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Move Seat Foreward

Reaction score
One project I’ve been considering is moving the bow seat aft a few inches so the prospector 15 performs better paddling backwards. Would a couple inches help the trim that much? What hangars help with such a modification? I’d probably leave the old ones in place in case I need to return to tandem mode. I can’t move it too far I know, because of the thwart. With my dog, I’m currently carrying 3-5 gallons of water in the far front. Thanks for the advice.

You could always move the thwart too. What are your gunwales made of? On the Nova Craft prospector 16's, the first thing I did was move the rear thwart a few inches aft so I could fit four barrels in. The gunwales were poly I believe, just a matter of drilling holes. I usually threw a piece of duct tape or something over the old holes.

Edited to say you could probably take that thwart out when you are solo paddling. Is it not in your way now, if you are sitting in the bow seat facing aft?

If it we’re too short possibly a sling type mount would work? They still show up from time to time.

Last edited:
What kind of gunnels do you have on this canoe ?

If this is a stripper ? You could remake the seat, and attach it to the hull, with cleats.
That way, if you wanted to return to the original location, you would merely remove and reinstall the old seat. the Best part, is you wouldn't need to drill more holes in the gunnels. Especially if they are wood.

Would a couple of inches make a difference ? I don't think a lot.

3 or 4" would have more effect.
Pictures ?

Jim

Last edited:
Seems a bit drastic to move a seat on a 15 ft canoe? Is this going to be a dedicated solo or just a temporary adjustment?
Can you trim with more water? I assume your pup sits back with you. I'd remove the front (stern) seat for starters for more room up there.

Last edited:
To paddle my first tandem canoe solo, I shortened and moved the center thwart significantly forward, and then installed a wide solo seat about five inches behind center for perfect trim. I gave up the ability to have a permanent central portage thwart. But I paddle a gazillion more miles and hours than I portage, so it was far, far more important to me to have a properly trimmed seat than a permanent portage thwart. I made a clamp-on portage yoke for the occasional portaging I did.

Black Fly

I moved the bow seat on my Pal a bit loser to the carry thwart because the stems get pretty narrow and without a good amount of weight in the bow the stern was lower in the water than I wanted. The Pal is 16 feet long. I do not think I moved the seat more than 5 inches. It made a big difference in trim.

However, my 15 foot prospector is more full in the stems and a foot shorter. I have not moved the bow seat at all. I did remove the stern seat and turned the yoke around so the boat ( symmetrical ) now is paddled and carried opposite of its original build. My dog sits forward of me when tripping, fishing or messing around on a day outing. To perfect trim, I have a 20 liter bag attached to the bow thwart. If I need some ballast up front, I can fill the bag on the go and place it in the stem for trim assistance. On a portage, I empty the bag, connect to the bow thwart and am on my way.

I attached the bow seat right under the gunnel as to reduce the angle of my leg while kneeling ... helped for a while, but can no longer kneel anymore. Sitting in a prospector with a dog ... while fishing ... means the seat needs to be lowered. These pics show I should have used my water bag as I am a bit stern heavy, but not too bad.

In these pics, I am about 225 pounds, 6'2" and Jake is around 65 pounds. So compare these numbers to you and your dog and go from there.

Good luck with your project.

Bob.

SOLOBOB1-200618-091440.jpgSOLOBOB1-200618-091108.jpg

Jake is laying in the curve of the bilge in this picture. He is in the canoe, you just can not see him. I was paddling in the Quetico to give these fisherman a note ( birch bark with charcoal writing - offering my email ). They, and their buddies in another canoe were taking pictures of Jake and I. I wanted to ask if they would send me the pictures. I am glad they obliged.

SOLOBOB1-200618-091600.jpgprospector 15 - 1.jpg

By all means try moving the seat. I took a tandem 15' 7" canoe and made a solo out of it.

Back