• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Moose River Bow loop (Maine)

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing the Moose River Bow loop this year and was wondering how busy it is. We're probably looking at going Memorial day weekend so I'm guessing it'll be fairly busy. Does anybody have any idea what it'll be like? I really want to go as early as possible to avoid the flies but it's hard to get the time any earlier.

Not very! The water will be cold and you will beating the blackflies. The Bow trip is about two hours away for me. Because the snow is wicked deep this year the portage from Attean to Holeb may be underwater. If you scoot a bit south to the next beach there is an old logging road that offers drier footing, though five deep trenches (about six feet down and ten across). Its a fine portage in high water conditions. The Attean Pond parking lot may be flooded or more pertinent, Johnson Brook may flood the road to the parking lot; but there is ample dry parking about a mile above. The portage across the field is about 400 m.

Thanks for the quick reply, do you know if there is a good map of the trip somewhere? I'm thinking a 4 day trip would be a reasonable pace. One day travel (car),3 days on the river. I don't want to be rushed, I want to enjoy it, is that enough time?

FYI I know this is an old post but this is useful info I paddle Moose last 2 Memorial Day weekend not to crowded this year water was mid July level real low. If you want to save the portage Cry of the Loon will shuttle you we had 10 people it cost us 110 dollars. Can take half a day or more. you can not use dollies it is to muddy and lots of broken boards. It was the best 15 dollars I spent. 2015 Saturday was real cold 32 F they had forecast 4 inches of snow had a light dusting no bug. Sunday afternoon we crossed Attean into a head wind took about 2 hours. 2016 was warmer and there were lot of bugs water a lot lower. We cross Attean pond with a light tail wind

The portage is 1.25miles long. Its not half a day if you single carry. This is one trip cause its short I go light. Took me about an hour at a grandma pace. Double carry yes triple the time..
( there is an alternative carry that avoids that mudhole)

I don't doubt you could do that first 2015 trip 5 tandams (3 kevlar 1 penobscot 1 OT tripper(2 woman)) 2 Newbies older couple in 70s shuttle was best
Old tripper was 1/2 hour behind whole trip.
2nd trip 2016 1 tandam 3 solos one guy had a dutch oven
So in both these cases shuttle way to go. But we had a fun trip both times

oh thats the way LLBean does their trips.. But I wanted to offer an alternative. The other portage is up over the shoulder of a mountain about 400 m south of the normal portage

First trip was an NH AMC Paddlers trip 2nd trip was myself(people that missed the first trip)

Back