• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Moon River Loop via Healey and Kapikog Lakes

That's some goose egg sized bug season badge of honour you're sporting there Teary! But from your photos and trip report (another great one) it was all worth it. I never realized there was such beauty back there just beyond the cottages and highways.

Odyssey Oh, it was definitely worth it. Such a nice spot. The great thing about exploring the small crown land lakes behind the major cottage destinations is that everyone up there is busy driving their boats around on the big lakes, having BBQs and drinking beer so hardly anyone ventures off the beaten path and onto the crown land except during hunting season. It's quieter than visiting a provincial park! We are surprised every time by how wild it can feel just a few portages away from a busy lake. I'm excited to check out other routes in the area, too. The Musquash River and Gibson River look really interesting, and there's lots of exploring to be done between the Severn and Gravenhurst.

The one in which we get mauled by all manner of biting insects. You'll have to read it to see the photo of a golf ball-sized deerfly bite in the middle of my forehead. Click bait!

https://canoecrew.wordpress.com/2016/06/24/my-huckleberry-friend-moon-river-me/

I would have gladly traded your bug bite, even in the middle of your forehead, for the armfull of poison ivy that I got on an 8 day river trip in May. I'm always on the lookout for the stuff but somehow I managed to miss this batch. BTW, nice photos in your report.

Jon

I shall use this trip report as justification for cancelling my July long weekend trip. The 30 degree temps with rain and scads of bugs seems like a no win trip for me so I shall stay home and garden instead. A good chance to get Karins new canoe wet on the lake here too.

As an aside, both Karin and I used to fish Buckhorn Lake in our youth. That is a pretty area.

You two kick some serious arse ...lol.

Christy

Iskweo I'm really hoping the hot weather kills off at least the blackflies before next weekend! I was extremely lucky to get the holiday off work and I'm definitely going to make the most of it.
That's neat that you and Karin used to frequent Buckhorn Lake! The island campsite was really lovely. So quiet too! We were expecting to hear trains as we have on every other Muskoka backcountry trip, but we didn't hear anything except the howling wind.
This trip kicked OUR asses a bit. Andrew described the weekend as an acid trip.. We saw so much in such a short amount of time that it hardly felt real!
Our friends with the cottage are super jealous that we've now explored more of the area than they have. They're planning on buying a new canoe this year (about time, too.. The old one is missing large pieces of the gunwales, the bow is held together with zip ties and the yoke is made of duct tape) and they will be following our route in the fall. I wish the horse and buggy between Moon Bay and Healey Lake was still an option! Cool history around there.

That is a different Buckhorn Lake. We frequented the one on the Trent System, adjacent to Pigeon Lake. I followed your route on Google maps though, nice that you found a degree of wilderness amongst the crush of civilization.

Mihun09 ah, I see. Many Buckhorn lakes I suppose.
We've done a bit more exploring a bit closer to the top of Healey Lake too. It's all crown land, and the sites are a bit bushy, but nice to get away from the motorboats. Last September we found a beaver dam 8ft tall!

Wow. Pretty hardcore trip given your late Saturday start. Credit to you guys for not giving up on nature after such a blood-letting and skin swelling experience. Those little crown land lakes sound like a real treat to get away from the crowds. Any clue when the map you mentioned is going to be ready for the public?

Hey Murat V, no idea when the map will be made available but I did take some Google Earth screenshots and annotate them with portages and info if you'd like to see them! I can email them to you if you're interested. I should still have your address, let me know. I didn't add the portages for the Moon River because Hap Wilson already has a map that is much more accurate than what I could do, but I've covered the lake portion of the loop.

Back