• Happy National American Red Cross Founder's Day (1881)! 🇨🇭🚑🏥

Missed opportunities of youth

Reaction score
ef135cdf02a0f69c2e2a98ae7a0b85c3.jpg

I'm behind my father's house now, just outside of Philadelphia, drinking my coffee and looking down a hill I've admired since I was just a tot.

My grandparents had done well for themselves in the 1960s and had a big house built on a high hill, looking down over a little pond. My grandparents are long gone now, but my parents now call it home.

This is the part of the world where I grew up, but I never really let it be my home. Once I was a young man and felt I had my feet under me, it was off to North Carolina. For reasons I shan't go into here, I needed some distance as many do, and it was only in North Carolina that I started to really think about things like "I wonder where that river goes".

I think that started with noticing the Eno River behind the courthouse in Hillsborough. It started out with a willingness to just get wet and walk upstream, and eventually led to spending $400 on a Mad River St Croix (long since gone from my life).

Driving up through Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware, I found myself looking out the window at rivers and marshes I'd never really paid attention to before. "I wonder where that goes." So many beautiful places were just beyond the din of the interstate.

This house that my grandparents built at one time had four generations of my family living under the roof at the same time. It's my only anchor now to this part of the country. The house will not be mine, nor will it be my parents' for much longer. They're set to relocate to Florida, selling the house to a younger family ready to start their own story.

The likelihood that I'll ever come back to explore the waters less traveled here is pretty low. Someone else will have to take their canoe down to the water and look around instead.

For me, it's a place to find all of my missed opportunities of youth, and wonder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice piece Magnus. It sounds like we've both pondered the same paths taken, not taken.
Opportunities lost could keep one awake at night with regrets; it's best to make the best of every choice, even the "wrong ones", and move on. Although even the wrong ones can open so many new doors of opportunity and life experiences, all worth facing and learning from. The old tired sayings of "Nothing in life is certain" and "In life there are no guarantees" apply. There's no telling where "the right" choices can lead. At least I console myself with that. Regrets - I have a few, but only if I dwell on them. To battle those second thoughts I choose to live fully joyfully in the moment.
Leaving home is a life adventure filled with promise and uncertainty. I've always found it true that "you can never go home", only because time changes all. I've repeatedly "gone home" to both family and old haunts, and always glad of the people I'd reconnected with but somewhat disappointed with the whole change of it, them and me. As much as I cherish the memories that's all that hasn't changed. But change is healthy too. It's the constant look back into the past hoping to relive it that may be less healthy. But once in awhile it's an emotional salve for what ails.

No regrets. But so many "what ifs".

My time in Pennsylvania this week has been to conduct professional business. Staying with family was a happy geographical coincidence. There's been no time on this trip to do anything personal beyond a couple of shared meals with my parents. And soon I'll be home again.

Maybe this weekend I can explore one of those "what ifs" closer to my current home.

Back