• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Minicel sanding blocks

Reaction score
here is something that I came up with for sanding the tumblhome area on my current build.
Made from a scrap chunk of 2x4, a 1/2" thick piece of exercise floor foam (aka Mike Mccrea's magnificent minicel), and a piece of sand paper. All pieces adhered together with super 77 spray adhesive.
i put the convex shap on two of the blocks with my new oscillating edge/spindle sander( x-mas gift from the Mrs.)
so far I am very pleased with how they work. Unfortunately I believe that once the sandpaper wears out, I may just have to throw them away...time will tell on that one.

Attachments

• photo8881.jpg
    photo8881.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8882.jpg
    photo8882.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 0
I made a few of these sanding blocks over the years and they do work really well, I glue the minicel on a piece of 3/4" baltic ply scrap... But I like the thicker block you used!

here is something that I came up with for sanding the tumblhome area on my current build.

Made from a scrap chunk of 2x4, a 1/2" thick piece of exercise floor foam
and a piece of sand paper. All pieces adhered together with super 77 spray adhesive.

Oh yeah, sandpaper on a piece of bent to conforming minicel is a thing of beauty when sanding curves. I have a couple minicel slabs in various shapes and pliability with sandpaper attached readymade

And Super 77 adhesive is a wonderful spray can stuff, right up there in shop necessities with WD40, silicon spray and PB Blaster. Especially for non waterproof uses when you want to sorta temporarily stick to something to something. Keep the nozzle clean of build up and that stuff lasts and lasts.

In that same guise worn out sanding belts, especially the 1 inch wide tabletop sander belts, are really handy to keep around. Cut them to a flat linear 1 x 30 inch belt and use like a shoe shine boot strap. 100 grit or 80 grit belt sandpaper will quickly smooth out the rough surface of any minicel or epoxied glass in an available shape.

A DougD trick, if you need to cut off something in situ, some existing minicel or fiberglass appendage, a naked hacksaw blade with some hand holding duct tape wrapped on the ends can be bent to specific curves and used to make complex cuts.

I have saved a few already duct taped hacksaw blades as well.

I got a foam pad for my ROS, which handles exterior tumble home sections very well, it also handles most of the interior, plus extends the range of usefulness for internal tumble home sections .... still requires some manual intervention, but it saves a lot of work.

hqmBO1xQlXKNGVFJNBi7R_HNsuYwETuKeHGkMJq3s7zsozed4hGa9qftTqvMVAaxL8iXjGIh1wTSSax118AmdZrTBujjlMBAp8wpAcu-Hq8lwRFyjKZV_lKfbHHsZwp3cau_z3QZn8iNy1EgtVM2RbjBEp1cOSJeLqmC9af0kv1LD9UZ-XD2tTZF3uGsCWKsuBWHBYo3ZwoyIks6Iw2olsfl8GeFV3PTJ7OAEkBJWGW3W5ZSNNKozN9cyX5Afzm7MxtB2zhim2r_S42Z7ydz7_ITz0yqFhBPEAmZg_VGWO8KNrfnkom57dLooRR_6m8xAe8lBUa2bMU3kb4f57Gc_ICHhlc0e6lfDJfPNkC3_EwTSHsahFS_MKdQXqN1qW0-jQVJApYT0VLTb9Pmt4zp5lzd-tU7fGMfQov-XYm6l6dsWM9N8BI3oVPhP4fWZqLZ0vNUEFJoRe7t88dra2vFdDz96wTG0y8NxlSrC52ctoQf5cAYNCMKSNRCcXWuy84PSjtVFLlI2W5ATSVfLARs6g3Jtak-FKKGPj2zWb8It5UKohjAa-3eRNAGEdDc3_TMFcoht_Cd7Hl-eZGLG_YWS361LW6ZFB1UxAd6SSw=w806-h1074-no

Brian

Back