• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

"Mighty" Dease River, British Columbia, 2003

I am here for the prose, which to me is the meat and potatoes of the posts, pictures are just the sprinkles on the frosting of the cake of good story telling.
I have not bothered to learn how to post pictures, just overly stubborn to want to. I have gone so far as to quit taking a camera with me too. Photo Bucket & Google Pictures et al.have not messed with me. I do like seeing you good folks pictures however.

no pictures for me either... even after refreshing the page... I'm on a macbook air if that matters!

I just posted a test picture and am wondering if others can see it. I'm not sure why PP is having picture problems. Will have to look at his account and am hoping this is not a problem from the update/horror show of the hack.

dougd

I am here for the prose, which to me is the meat and potatoes of the posts, pictures are just the sprinkles on the frosting of the cake of good story telling. ...
I like both, although I do instinctively go for the corner piece of cake, since I can always use a little more frosting.

The frustrating thing about all of these cloud services is that they're great (and usually "free") until someone decides to change the rules. I'm still lamenting the loss of Panoramio. Recped is right that the only way to know something is permanent is to buy your own hosting.

fqOc6KVXALV_CoKR7D9yaUgQpJEcmhSs74mtud6wwRXAavGTVqQtxUw1ZoMuSoLiCdpBqcgBiy-VLNtsZ_bT9_RWLGHBLOwGPFvqzA5iknih1qwCPbKQtar4t1Oxatd4psMfqpfpzl_gvObYbzY936XHg80U8Z7D1Tow4Agff6LRR5k52BpQZex7EWXS5nK1ZOoWASIALngBWRejSsenvJj9dEjLwRJJ0Wsa-hIyltajzjYcFp1AitRxad5M50CH7RBzId2q5vw0lbb9y3I5r01kImSH2at9_aWyVIGm41NW4uaJI7LZyXKTV9AUY5yaZTSE4hn7kfF4PaxhiH8AxJUxOELkUdyf_LptUI2qAnD7Ze_qbFSILLD_2vq9qgmg9xDyp9H0lUcBI_-ixahKGZrIKDofOYlIyV5Uh4RfwwqixS0XFKU89OAgVSV3FLvp_5CoCPE1cTK5gbXWeUwuzlQqrWo6MfVRySjuuSmTZkHxMtV9UzvbIXeGEyeClSOC6y7eZWZC1c45GGTu3PF8ieDFcy1yugZql6Nsk_pXb8LwivxJb4l-ry-rGG2T3LCR_h1lmdgC3qmgrm6mMosWMmEvHQJrYQvdJ_JHklVWZVY3LWtPRtuuzCAaEq8DaxPU2_onNLB0MoHVTFjoIYXnO05_Th_hTq56P5228B-J2JDsntSEMWz40iE=w462-h304-no

Does this image appear?

Well that is the only way I ever been able to post pictures on here!

Doug and Odyssey. I just received your likes for this image. Does this mean you were able to see it? I didn't do anything different. I was just showing Kathleen how I always paste image addresses into the site. She is trying to help.

dease001.jpg

Me, Owens and Pierre at Kitwanga, the southern end of the Stewart-Cassiar Highway.

If this works, I am back in the game, thanks to dogbrain's instructions!

Attachments

• dease001.jpg
    dease001.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 0
Yes Pitt, I was liking whichever photo I could see...which I can no longer see. This last one is visible.

Thursday, July 24 (Michael)

We arrived at the head of Dease Lake at 7:15 am -- Kathleen and I, and my friend since childhood, Bill Owens ("Willie"), with his friend Chuck Nelson, otherwise known on the rivers of northern British Columbia as ‘Pierre LeChuck.’ Don Hack and Laura Jones were already there, and we were all joined a few minutes later by Greg Gerke and Cheryl Lewis with their children Sean (16 years old) and Allana (7 years old).

This is Willie and Pierre's first wilderness canoe trip. Needless to say they were very excited and pumped up, having driven five days from California's San Joaquin Valley just to be standing on a beach at the head of a lake holding the most southerly water in British Columbia flowing north to the Arctic Ocean. Heavy dew covered the ground, and mist rose from the lake, rising into a beautiful, cool morning of 7[SUP]0[/SUP] C (45[SUP]0[/SUP] F). A moose swam across our bay, only slightly disturbing the water's otherwise calm surface.

dease002.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	669.4 KB ID:	99300

Dease River Adventurers at Dease Lake put-in.

dease004.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	416.5 KB ID:	99301

Pierre and Owens are ready to paddle “The Mighty Dease River.”

dease008.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	344.9 KB ID:	99302

Owens and Pierre head north, down Dease Lake. Most Dease River paddlers start their trip on the river itself, thereby avoiding the potential for being windbound on this somewhat large lake. By beginning our trip on Dease Lake, though, Owens and Pierre get two more days to practice their paddling strokes.

Dease Lake opened her arms to us in a grand welcome. Absolutely no wind, warm sun, several eagles and one lone fox as our four canoes and one kayak paraded down the west shore. Willie and Pierre, leading the way, looked increasingly comfortable in their borrowed 17.5-foot Old Town Tripper as the hours glided by.

dease010.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease010.jpg Views:	0 Size:	645.9 KB ID:	99303

Dease River Adventurers at lunch on our first day. Owens in the foreground.

dease012.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease012.jpg Views:	0 Size:	419.4 KB ID:	99304
Greg and Cheryl at lunch on our first day.

The Dease River Adventurers reached Dease Creek at 4:30 in the afternoon, and we all dined on Kathleen's macaroni and cheese cooked over a small fire. Although tired, we all seemed reasonably content. A fine and very successful day. Everyone in the tent by 8:45. Dease Creek gurgles slowly past, while snores tumble out from the tent belonging to Willie and Pierre, who certainly deserve a good night's sleep. Approximately 28 km (17 miles) paddled today, a commendable distance on lake water no matter how experienced or new a paddler might be.

(Note: Our group agreed that each of us, in rotation, would share their thoughts about the day’s adventures. Pierre went first.)

Thursday, July 24; Day 1 (Pierre)

It's the first day of the trip, July 24, 2003. We slept on sheets last night in a Dease Lake Motel. We watched TV after dining at the restaurant and heard the weather reports of possible rain and wind for our first day’s journey. But here we are and the sun is out and there is no wind and the water is like glass. We unload the vehicles at the same debarkation point used by R.M. Patterson in 1948. The scenery is almost identical to the photo in his book.

As we load the canoes, a Moose swims across the lake a few hundred yards away. Willy and I successfully get all our food and equipment into the Old Town after worrying about the vast inventory we brought with us. The boat is trimmed and still floats when we get in.

We paddle away about 8:20 a.m. towards the distant end of the Lake. The smooth water gives us a chance to adjust our basic paddling strokes and get synchronized. I don't see many fish as we travel along the shoreline but we follow a Bald Eagle. He takes flight as we approach until he tires of the game and remains perched, watching disdainfully as we paddle past. Also we sight a large Fox ambling along the shore...there could be many more critters out in plain view but I'm watching the bow paddler and probably miss 99% of what is there.

Our breaks are a welcome opportunity to stretch out and change position from the rather cramped posture in the canoe. Slowly, as we progress through the 28 kilometer day, our paddling gets syncopated and the Old Town canoe moves much easier despite our miscues.

The first night’s camp area is found to be occupied by a very large, modern looking house. We continue paddling for a blessedly short time and find a great gravel bar where Dease Creek flows into the Lake. The sand has ample evidence of Moose and smaller creatures. We pitch the tent, get cleaned up and enjoy a wonderful meal prepared by Kathleen Pitt. Pierre becomes the first to lay down in the tent, enjoying the late light until sleep comes.

Last edited:
Back