• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Many short trips vs. a single long trip

Reaction score
Hello!!

I was thinking about this topic last night when I was reading some of the great trip reports on this site. I'm wondering if, given the option, paddlers out there would prefer to do one big, long trip or several weekend/overnight trips over the course of any given season? It seems like in recent years I just haven't had the opportunity to go on a trip any longer than 3-4 days -- with a few 1-2 night trips sprinkled throughout the season. I always thought I'd like to do the single big trip, but when I really started thinking about it, I don't know if I'd be willing to sacrifice the experience of the full paddling season. What do you think?

A week or more away from home is alot easier to do now than it was 20 years ago when I had family obligations. Now that the kids are grown and gone I can get away for longer periods.
I would like to do local trips but there are very few here where I live. Day trips yes, but overnight would require comando camping so I'll pass.
I'm not that far from the Adirondacks where there are some great destinations, especially for someone like me who can go off season/mid week and I do take advantage of that twice yearly for 3-4 days.
To have wild rivers nearby that are 3-4 day trips is a blessing, I envy you.

When I was younger, life got in the way of longer trips so I had to settle for weekenders and evening paddles. When our kids were small, they would go to Grandma's for a week and my wife and I would go to Algonquin. Now that my week consists of 6 Saturdays and a Sunday, finding time for longer trips isn't the problem. The problem is finding someone to go with me. My wife's health prevents her from going, guys my age won't, and the younger guys have the same problem going that I used to have - work and family. There are some nearby trips I could solo for 2-4 days, but my wife worries when I do that.

It really isn't a matter of preference... it's taking advantage of the opportunities as they come and making the most out of them.

Jon

'

We do a lot of day trips all trough the season, and one or two 10 day trips during the season. I like the long trip, make you really appreciate the life in the bush. I need to start doing more over nighter. We do a lot of ww paddling and we usually base camp and do multiple runs of different section of river that are fun!

I really think that every trip is a good reason to get out there, no matter if it is an afternoon or 20 days!!

Cheers

I used to do a lot of 2 night trips, probably 10 or 12 a season, with some 3 nighters and maybe a 5 nighter thrown in.. There is nothing wrong with getting out for just an overnighter either. As long as you don't have to travel to far, why not. I learned a lot and was able to change my set up frequently to see what worked best for me. The longest trip I ever did was a solo 10 day event that covered almost 50 lakes. I always thought I'd like to do a one or two month trip someday but it may never happen and if it doesn't I'm OK with that. The important thing is to just get out there.

When I was younger, life got in the way of longer trips so I had to settle for weekenders and evening paddles. When our kids were small, they would go to Grandma's for a week and my wife and I would go to Algonquin. Now that my week consists of 6 Saturdays and a Sunday, finding time for longer trips isn't the problem. The problem is finding someone to go with me. My wife's health prevents her from going, guys my age won't, and the younger guys have the same problem going that I used to have - work and family. There are some nearby trips I could solo for 2-4 days, but my wife worries when I do that.

It really isn't a matter of preference... it's taking advantage of the opportunities as they come and making the most out of them.

Jon

'
Have you considered an InReach? SPOT is one way communication tool and might help your wife but in your situation I think two way would be better so you don't worry about your wife.

I'm in the same boat as many of you retired guys. Lucklily I live in a sparsely populated area of Pennsylvania between two rivers with many ponds ,forests and gamelands nearby. While much of my years time is devoted gardening, fishing ,hunting, firewood and horses ( I rarely ride anymore, I don't bounce as well as I used to !) I look forward to at least 3 or 4 long trips a year but have a few local unfrequented spots that are my fortress of solitude where I go to have long conversations with my dog about life's meaning. The important part is to fight being sedentary what ever way you can !

For me it has always been a tossup between vacation time, proximity to good travel places, opportunity (friends, family w an open door the first night of car or plane travel) and willing companions. Plus I grew up in a family and location where GREAT camping (not necessarily boating mind you) was on the list 6-12 times a year. At home now, I can put in on a tidal stream (have to have good tides though) any time I choose from my yard and get some of that paddlin' jones out of my system.

I increasingly enjoy just off season travel now. That I find to be limited to 3-5 nights with work and other obligations and that seems to be just enough and almost enough psychic payback for the 6 or so hours of necessary driving each way. And after too many solo trips, I increasingly find my own company to be less than enervating and uplifting come quiet time. And no longer do I have a 4 legged friend who is good at pretending I tell good jokes and stories in camp...

When I hop on a plane I tend to settle more now for an average trip, even in a spectacular location, being less willing to drop endless amounts of money on rental gear or excursions. More about the simple pleasures of the trip and good companionship, less about big plans and big travels while I am there.

I'm wondering if, given the option, paddlers out there would prefer to do one big, long trip or several weekend/overnight trips over the course of any given season? It seems like in recent years I just haven't had the opportunity to go on a trip any longer than 3-4 days -- with a few 1-2 night trips sprinkled throughout the season.
What do you think?

I was never much interested in going out for a single night, and have become less fond of doing 3 day trips. In part because I have (repeatedly) done so much of what is interesting within a half day’s drive, but largely because 2 or three nights just isn’t enough anymore. I still paddle some of those oft-visited venues, but even in those places I prefer to linger for 5 days or a week.

Without work and family time constraints the only difference between 3 days and a week+ is as simple as more food.

And, post-retirement, I recognize that I have become increasingly spoiled by week or multi-week long trips. At that trip duration driving for 1000 miles or more provides many more viable venue options. Someone, CT’er Chip maybe, once explained that he wanted to spend at least twice the time paddling as it took to drive there and back. Works for me, maybe X3.

I increasingly enjoy just off season travel now.

Absolutely. I am jonsing for a trip, but not until sometime after Labor Day when schools are back in session. And the more off-season the better, meaning fewer people out and about. I’ll happily deal with dicey weather or cold if it means less company.

Seriously, I avoid even Columbus Day.

And have my own variation of the Chip Rule; on the Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day long weekends I buy a case of beer on Thursday and don’t cross my own property lines again until the following Tuesday.

There are simply too many people out, attempting to do things they are not very good at.

The longest trip I've ever done is 10 nights. Most of my trips tend to be 2-4 nights with 1 week long trip pretty much every year. For the past 4 or 5 years I have been keeping a log of all my nights out and about and I think I have been averaging 20 nights a year made up of various trips.

I don't think there is a right or a wrong.

Work sometimes is an evil necessity
If you live in Connecticut, escaping is so much work and who wants to go back through that mess two days later?

Here in Maine I can do two day trips easily ( Bow trip) Lobster trip.. but I like to stretch them out cause I can

Umbagog I cant bring myself to spend nights on. For me its still a day trip.

I don't think there is a right or a wrong.

Work sometimes is an evil necessity
If you live in Connecticut, escaping is so much work and who wants to go back through that mess two days later?

Here in Maine I can do two day trips easily ( Bow trip) Lobster trip.. but I like to stretch them out cause I can

Umbagog I cant bring myself to spend nights on. For me its still a day trip.

It is the realtor’s “Location, location, location”.

Living in Maryland, in the near center of the east coast megalopolis, I certainly feel the “who wants to go back through that mess 2 days later” weighing on my trip plans, and making my escape well before dawn and returning late at night or on weekend days become an important part of my trip planning.

I have driven past Umbagog a few times on trips north, and still kinda want to do a trip there, but the whole reservations for designated campsite ordeal has become anathema to my preferred tripping style.

Chips duration of trip 2x drive time makes sense. Its total drive time right? Umbagogs reservation system drives me batty. Its 90 minutes from my house, x2 is three hours, Trip usually lasts six so it does do OK..
Our last focus was Superior. Its a two day each way so doubling that required eight days. We didnt think that trip would be that long so we tacked on Philip Edward..
10 days of tripping.. four days of driving.. Sorta.. we did fall for urban Toronto for the Chihuly exhibit at the ROM.. so another day

Mike you can stay here and day trip..

Hi All!

Wow, this has morphed into a fun discussion! It sounds to me like you retired guys are livin' the life!! ah, someday! :)

It sounds like we'd all prefer at least one lengthy trip per year, but life-stage and location are major controlling factors!

I'm lucky to live here in NB, we have fun rivers right on our doorstep that a paddler can spend a week or a day on. However, I sometimes long for those endless lake trips into remote areas, which is something that is in short supply here. As a results, "portaging" is not something that many paddlers in NB know about --although, I have to shamelessly plug Canoe-Kayak NB and their Ancient Portage Trails project, which is truly fascinating: ​http://www.canoekayaknb.com/#!ancient-portage-trails/pvqw3

Hi All!

Wow, this has morphed into a fun discussion! It sounds to me like you retired guys are livin' the life!! ah, someday! :)

It sounds like we'd all prefer at least one lengthy trip per year, but life-stage and location are major controlling factors!

I'm lucky to live here in NB, we have fun rivers right on our doorstep that a paddler can spend a week or a day on. However, I sometimes long for those endless lake trips into remote areas, which is something that is in short supply here. As a results, "portaging" is not something that many paddlers in NB know about --although, I have to shamelessly plug Canoe-Kayak NB and their Ancient Portage Trails project, which is truly fascinating: ​http://www.canoekayaknb.com/#!ancient-portage-trails/pvqw3
You have a chance maybe to help Mike Ranta who has to get from the St Lawrence to the St John. Probably through the Temiscouta Portage.. I think there are ways to shorten its 60 km length.
Its fun to live in canoe country.. Were just a short hop away with the lakes and some portages for you.

Once I retired my first 30 day trip showed me that I much prefered long trips. My long trips have always been solo because few can or want to be out that long. Personally I am not into a trip until 3 or4 days have passed so have no ambition to do the prep and drive for a week long trip. As more of my paddling friends have retired and have time available they are joining me for longer segments and find that they enjoy the extended time. A few weeks solo and then I meet their floatplane at an arranged spot. The change up on a long trip is refreshing even when Farmer does not bring in the promised iced beer!! Food and fuel for long trips gets heavy so having friends drop in with the resupply is really nice.

I just like getting out ... and away. Short trips are nice to look over new areas (and trying new gear out), longer trips are good for the soul.

This year my camping buddies and I all retired at the same time, we are making short and long trips .... each have their advantages. I like both, and since I can, I do.

Brian

You have a chance maybe to help Mike Ranta who has to get from the St Lawrence to the St John. Probably through the Temiscouta Portage.. I think there are ways to shorten its 60 km length.
Its fun to live in canoe country.. Were just a short hop away with the lakes and some portages for you.

Neat I only just became aware of Mike, how far down the St. John River does he come?

Here is his website
https://www.mikeranta.ca/

He thought he would cross New Brunswick north of the Reversing Falls in St John using a series of lakes. So Im not sure. I cant find the info on the website but that is the best recollection of what he told me.

As luck would have it I am off on a 3dayish trip in about, ohhhhh, 10 minutes. The weather looked good and I was tired of work before I had my first coffee finished so I am taking a nice little solo up around Bissett. The plan is to work my way up from Birch Falls on the Wanipigow and see how the ports are in the burn area. If that doesnt look good I can always scuttle up to the Rice.

Paddling, fishing, chainsawing. You know, chick stuff.

Christy

Back